• Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

Field/Domain/Flow difference

Hi i really need your help select the best word to describe my undergraduate course structure.

My studies in the field of Computer science began in September 2001 at the
    Department of Informatics, Technological Educational Institute of Athens.
    I took all the courses regarding the Communication and Computer Systems field. My enthusiasm about learning more about informatics science motivated me to complete also the other field, of Information Systems and Computer Applications

What is the most suitable word regarding studies? Flow/Domain or Field? My Department's web site use the term 'Cycle' which i think is completely wrong

The overall course structure includes Compulsory Courses, Compulsory Selected Courses, and Optional Courses. The Courses are distributed in the following two Cycles:
    • Information Systems and Applications, and
    • Communication and Information Systems.

Here u can see my course description in english (I doubt if the translation is correct)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Field/Domain/Flow difference

Quote Originally Posted by dervast View Post
    Hi i really need your help select the best word to describe my undergraduate course structure.

My studies in the field of Computer science began in September 2001 at the
    Department of Informatics, Technological Educational Institute of Athens.
    I took all the courses regarding the Communication and Computer Systems [B]field[/B]. 'I took all the courses in the field of Comm...' My enthusiasm about learning more about informatics science motivated me to complete also the other field, a course (or courses) in the field of Information Systems and Computer Applications

What is the most suitable word regarding studies? Flow/Domain or Field? My Department's web site use the term 'Cycle' which i think is completely wrong

The overall course to avoid using 'course' here one could use 'program'. It would avoid confusion structure includes Compulsory Courses, Compulsory Selected Courses, and Optional Courses. The Courses are distributed in the following two Cycles: areas:
    • Information Systems and Applications, and
    • Communication and Information Systems.

Here u can see my course description in english (I doubt if the translation is correct)
    'field' and 'domain' are similar. The word 'area' is also used: 'What area are you researching?'
    When you undertake some study organized by an institution this is a 'course', usually over a period of time, in a 'field'. I agree, 'cycle' is misused here.