Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    VanTMV Guest

    Default A Bee In Her Bonnet

    Hello helpers, hello all,
    While seraching the meaning, I got 2
    1-Upset, a bit of angry.
    2-To keep talking about something again and again because you think it is very important.

    Since they are absolutely different from each other I really want to know which is the right definition, or which is the popular definition.
    Thank you and regards

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A Bee In Her Bonnet

    Quote Originally Posted by VanTMV
    Hello helpers, hello all,
    While seraching the meaning, I got 2
    1-Upset, a bit of angry.
    2-To keep talking about something again and again because you think it is very important.

    Since they are absolutely different from each other I really want to know which is the right definition, or which is the popular definition.
    Thank you and regards
    As far as I know it's #1 and I have never heard the #2 version before.

  3. #3
    Dany's Avatar
    Dany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A Bee In Her Bonnet

    If someone is very excited about something, they have a bee in their bonnet

  4. #4
    VanTMV Guest

    Default Re: A Bee In Her Bonnet

    Thank you for your promt reply
    As I understand Marylin agreed with the first and Danny agreed with the 2nd
    here is the source of the 2nd :
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...6671&dict=CALD
    and here is that of the 1st:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/toni.go...iom_wm/id5.htm

    It's so strange, how can an Idiom has two meanings that some people use it with one meaning and the rest use with the other, or because this idiom is not popular or appeared from long time ago so there is a cofusing in using nowaday? Can you please help me to clarify it? thanks

  5. #5
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,077
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A Bee In Her Bonnet

    If someone keeps on about something, we can use the idiom because they are excited about it. The talking is a syptom of the excitement.

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,077
    Post Thanks / Like

  7. #7
    VanTMV Guest

    Default Re: A Bee In Her Bonnet

    Hello Tdol,
    Thank you for your help, but I think you just gave me the meaning, and did not mention the 1st meaning (upset and a little bit of angry). Do you know anything about that?

    Hi Marylin,
    May I know where are you from, because only you know the 1st meaning so I'like to know where people use it
    Thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A Bee In Her Bonnet

    Quote Originally Posted by VanTMV
    Hello Tdol,
    Thank you for your help, but I think you just gave me the meaning, and did not mention the 1st meaning (upset and a little bit of angry). Do you know anything about that?

    Hi Marylin,
    May I know where are you from, because only you know the 1st meaning so I'like to know where people use it
    Thanks
    Hi,

    Sorry, I really don't know the origins of that phrase. All I know it means to be ticked off (or pissed off). I can look around and maybe I can find some explanation. To me it's the same as saying "something's crawled up his rear end" (or ass to be exact). Not a nice phrase but the meaning is pretty much the same.

  9. #9
    VanTMV Guest

    Default Re: A Bee In Her Bonnet

    No Marylin, what I meant was: you know the 1st meaning, so i want to know where you location is, where this idiom is used to show upset and a little bit of angry

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A Bee In Her Bonnet

    Quote Originally Posted by VanTMV
    No Marylin, what I meant was: you know the 1st meaning, so i want to know where you location is, where this idiom is used to show upset and a little bit of angry
    Canada

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •