• Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation How to improve comprehension and comprehensibility

Hi Everybody,

How can one improve the comprehension (understanding the native speaker) and comprehensibility (making the native speaker understand you) of non native speaker.

The problem with comprehesnion originates from inability to understand the acent of native speakers and also inablility to understand the english usage (grammar, idioms, vocabulary) of native speakers.

Similarly the problem with comprehensibility (intelligibility) originates from improper pronunciation/accent and improper english usage (grammar, vocabulary).

What strategy should one adopt and which activities, sessions, games, books, material would you recommend to improve on the above mentioned short comings.

Thanks a bundle

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: How to improve comprehension and comprehensibility

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Hi Everybody,

How can one improve the comprehension (understanding the native speaker) and comprehensibility (making the native speaker understand you) of non native speaker.

The problem with comprehesnion originates from inability to understand the acent of native speakers and also inablility to understand the english usage (grammar, idioms, vocabulary) of native speakers.

Similarly the problem with comprehensibility (intelligibility) originates from improper pronunciation/accent and improper english usage (grammar, vocabulary).

What strategy should one adopt and which activities, sessions, games, books, material would you recommend to improve on the above mentioned short comings.

Thanks a bundle
    Oh, well there are any number of things one can do. You could watch movies in English with subtitles. Watch a movie once to enjoy it, and then make a study out of it. Imitate what you hear. If you can hear it, you can produce it. If you can produce it, you can hear it. Try to write what you hear the actors say, and then check the subtitles to see if you are correct. This is a kind of "auto-dictation", I guess. You don't necessarily need a teacher for it.

I once taught someone from Spain who worked for a drug, or pharmaceutical, company. He had a hard time comprehending native speaker speech. His comprehension in the conference rooms improved after I introduced him to the informal and relaxed speech sounds of American English. So much for "formal speaking" in business. It's simply not there as much as some people would like to insist that it is.

Here's another idea. Write what you hear even if you can't hear all of it. Then go back and try to fill in the blanks. Oftentimes it's more difficult to hear the structure words and contractions. So for example, you might hear "I __ told you", when the speaker really said "I've told you". Or you might hear "I __ tell you", when the speaker really said "I'd tell you". I used this method once, and it seemed to be helpful. When you go back to fill in the blanks, you might find in some cases you can figure out what the speaker said because now listening becomes a grammar exercise.

I recommend the old American TV show M*A*S*H to practice listening to more relaxed and informal pronunciation. Watch Star Trek for speech that sounds clearer and more well-formed. The speech in Star Trek is spoken in a kind of scientific register, which is why it might sound clearer - I said "might".

Also, try to be in the habit of using contractions for all of your spoken language. We usually use contractions when we speak. If we need to emphasize or add clarity for some reason, there's less chance that we'll use contractions. I would always use contractions. I think this will help you hear contractions better.

There are a number of ways to answer your question, and I might be able to think of things that I haven't even tried yet, as I only do what works best in each situation. If I think of anything else that I feel might be useful, I'll post it.

Last edited by PROESL; 03-Aug-2009 at 22:17. Reason: added more information

anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to improve comprehension and comprehensibility

Thank you very much. I highly appreciate your prompt and elaborate responses to all my posts.

I work as a communication trainer at a BPO in India. I have been assigned the task to devise stratigies and plan sessions to improve the comprehension and comprehensibility of a group of agents who interact with americans over the phone.

These agents posses very limited english speaking abilities.

And what we are emphasising, is not on improving their overall english, however equipping them with skills of comprehension where in they can understand the speaker and their queries and then in response can make the speaker understand what they want to convey.

Thus it would be of great help, if you can of some other activities or material which might be useful in this senario.

Thanks a bundle

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to improve comprehension and comprehensibility

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Thank you very much. I highly appreciate your prompt and elaborate responses to all my posts.

I work as a communication trainer at a BPO in India. I have been assigned the task to devise stratigies and plan sessions to improve the comprehension and comprehensibility of a group of agents who interact with americans over the phone.

These agents posses very limited english speaking abilities.

And what we are emphasising, is not on improving their overall english, however equipping them with skills of comprehension where in they can understand the speaker and their queries and then in response can make the speaker understand what they want to convey.

Thus it would be of great help, if you can of some other activities or material which might be useful in this senario.

Thanks a bundle
    I would try to find some stock phrases they can use in response to typical questions. Once in a while misunderstandings take place because the American listener might not be given enough assurance about something. Tone of voice is important to convey confidence in one's reply and confidence on the part of the listener that the speaker "understands" him or her. Intonation patterns are important because using improper intonation patterns can cause one's speech to be unintelligible to an American listener.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else to add here.

Here's an example of what I mean by stock phrases or stock sentences. (Just take them down from the shelves of your mind when you need them )

Agent: Is there anything else we can do for you today Mr. Roy?

Mr. Roy: No, I think that does it.

Agent: Very well then, I'm glad we could be of service to you today. Please, call again if you have any other questions.

American customer: Okay, thank you.

Agent: Have a good afternoon.

Use stock phrases to practice intonation patterns. Of course, pronunciation practice should cover more than just stock phrases, but that's one to work on it.