Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the meaning of this word in this context?

hello everyone,
    I was reading an article on the Internet the other day and I need to know the meaning of the word "proverbial" in this sentence/ context.

Here's the sentence:

I had the chance to attend the preview screening of The Namesake in Montreal a few days after its soundtrack landed on my proverbial desk.
    Thanks for your help.

svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's the meaning of this word in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by colorblindjunkee View Post
    hello everyone,
    I was reading an article on the Internet the other day and I need to know the meaning of the word "proverbial" in this sentence/ context.

Here's the sentence:

Thanks for your help.
    If you say 'up the proverbial creek without a paddle', an altered version of a proverb which means 'to be in a difficult situation', you substitute 'the proverbial' for 'sheet' lest you should offend the hearer. Shit is a dirty word and polite people do not like to use it. Substitution of this four lettered word is a kind of euphemism, a socially more acceptable version.

In your example, I think something else is the case. Proverbial may be also used to describe something, in our case 'my desk', which has become an object of common mention or reference.

Is it clear now?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    Thank you very much for the explanation and shedding some light on it. I was looking at some examples and got this one from proverbial - definition of proverbial by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

It says "well-known because commonly or traditionally referred to". So I guess the desk is given more importance on this particular context.

Any feedback on this?

Thank you.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colorblindjunkee View Post
    Hello,
    Thank you very much for the explanation and shedding some light on it. I was looking at some examples and got this one from proverbial - definition of proverbial by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

It says "well-known because commonly or traditionally referred to". So I guess the desk is given more importance on this particular context.

Any feedback on this?

Thank you.
    What I think is happening is this: the soundtrack didn't "land on his desk" at all. He may not even have a desk. But the saying that something "landed on my desk" is very common, whether it's used literally or metaphorically, for example, for getting something in the mail.

So it's not his actual desk that is 'widely known and spoken of' - it's the phrase "landed on my desk". Since the phrase has become 'proverbial', the desk also is 'proverbial'.