ayhanb is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default is there any grammar book explain meaining of grammar

hi this is my first post i would like to ask is there any English grammar book explain true grammar. grammar just a bunch of rules you have to memorize everything or there is some sort of logic you can understand rules without memorize for instance future tense i will go to school tomorrow the will means basically intention so thats reason we are using will not going to or going to old times displaced from somewhere to be nonexistence exact future please guys dont suggest me any longman cambridge or another fill in gaps or i should say fill out gaps books i am fed up thoese book they are not teaching anything to me just waste my time i am not pursuing a magical formul i am pursuing a logical reasoning might be historical explanation
    thank you

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: is there any grammar book explain meaining of grammar

See Practical English Usage (3rd Edition): Amazon.co.uk: Michael Swan: Books (Read the Customer Reviews at the end of that page.)

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, this is my first post. I would like to ask if there are any English grammar books that explain true grammar. I am not looking for a grammar book that is just a bunch of rules that you have to memorize. There has to be some sort of logic that helps you understand the rules without having to memorize everything; e.g., future tense: I will go to school tomorrow means intention.

Please don't suggest Longman, Cambridge or any other fill-in-the-gaps, or rather fill-out-the gap grammar books. I am fed up with those books. They are not teaching me anything. They are a waste of my time.

I am not after a magical formula. I am interested in grammar books that provide clear, reasonable explanations that are user-friendly.

ayhanb is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your answer and correction to my text but i have this book and similar to these kind of book no offense but unfortunately another bunch of rules book we are all missing the point both teachers and learners semantic approach teaching language if you are a teacher in English school i want you to examine your student take one page of this book and tell them memorize everything on this page one month later take the test about this page i really want to know about success rate but i need to memorize English whole my life if i couldnt find anybook which is really telling true meaning of grammar
    i wish you can take this positive i really dont want to offend anybody here because we are same side
    thank you again

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ayhanb View Post
    thank you for your answer and correction to my text but i have this book and similar to these kind of book no offense but unfortunately another bunch of rules book we are all missing the point both teachers and learners semantic approach teaching language if you are a teacher in English school i want you to examine your student take one page of this book and tell them memorize everything on this page one month later take the test about this page i really want to know about success rate but i need to memorize English whole my life if i couldnt find anybook which is really telling true meaning of grammar
    i wish you can take this positive i really dont want to offend anybody here because we are same side
    thank you again
    I cannot recommend you a good grammar book suited for your needs. Actually I am looking for a grammar book for myself. But I can tell you that
    I think you are studying English the wrong way. If you want to learn English,
    you have to learn it by its use, not studying grammar books. There are various methods on the specialized literature. Focusing on grammar rules now will not do any good. Only after you have achieved a higher level
    (believe me it is not impossible, you just have to try hard and be patient),
    you are to be concerned with grammar rules.

ayhanb is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry but I dont even dare focusing on grammar which has morphology and syntax etc.. those for John McWhorter etc.. and I just know a synthetic grammar which all ESL teacher taught me last 5 years canada and uk thank you but right know i just know rules .please read my first thread after that ask yourself this guy is really looking for the artifical grammar rules or something different
    thank you

ayhanb is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

this is the book what i am looking for a looooooooong time
    Amazon.com: English Prepositions Explained (9781556195266): Seth Lindstromberg: Books
    but only about prepositions i wish the author of this book can write something about grammar

anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ayhanb View Post
    hi this is my first post i would like to ask is there any English grammar book explain true grammar. grammar just a bunch of rules you have to memorize everything or there is some sort of logic you can understand rules without memorize for instance future tense i will go to school tomorrow the will means basically intention so thats reason we are using will not going to or going to old times displaced from somewhere to be nonexistence exact future please guys dont suggest me any longman cambridge or another fill in gaps or i should say fill out gaps books i am fed up thoese book they are not teaching anything to me just waste my time i am not pursuing a magical formul i am pursuing a logical reasoning might be historical explanation
    thank you
    Have you read Communicative Grammar of English..Jeoffery Leech

ayhanb is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

No I havent read it before thank you sir somebody understand me thank you so much really