What word do you think is the hardest to pronounce???

• Thread starter Ramid
  • Start date
  • Views : 139,805
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Latoof

tdol said:
Ah, you remind me about the horrible time ever. I was doing my research on George the Sixth! Ah, it was a really hard time to me to spell this word out to others:-? .

far-mash

Latoof said:
I used to find a diffeculty in pronuncing the word QUESTION! Can you beleive it! Then I found it very easy. The most diffecult word to pronunce is the word refrigerator. I just asked the teacher an hour ago to correct the way I transcriped it in. Is not it the most diffecult word ever?;-)

In fact the most difficult word for me to pronounce is anticonstitutionalistically :lol:

peteryoung

I think the American way of pronouncing 'million' or 'williams' is hard to imitate, while the British way is much easier.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Try saying 'The thesaurus is'. :)

N

Nicoschmeii

In the same way of "The thesaurus is" :lol: , there is: "There're three tea trees" :roll:

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick. :)

mesmark

Member Type
English Teacher
as for daily words I'm constantly correcting "usually" and "rival"

my nursing college students have a hard time with "atherosclerotic plaque" :-D
70% of them never even get to "plaque"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm surprised they get halfway. ;-)

C

christina

I still find "very well" hard to get right. A lot of times it comes out more like "very vell" which is extremely embarrassing. Very on its own is easy, so is well, but as a combo... Maybe it's a German thing.

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The word 'quarter'. It's funny because I've been working at convenience stores as cashier clerk for half a decade, and I must've said it countless times but can't get it right. I either resort to pronouncing it sort of British way, since I don't have to pronounce that r in the middle, or pronounce it 'quorer'.

K

kesentsengk

have of you ever thought of the word ''confidentiality'' :oops:

japanjapan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
i can not pronunce "sixth" even today, the day after i studied english for 15 years. it is so hard to pronunce the /s/ and /th/ when they are next to each other. similarly, it is hard for me to pronunce "months" for the same reason.
i need help, guys.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Many Japanese speakers say 'monthis'. Is that the way you say it? If so, it's mother tongue interference and very hard to stamp out.

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
for th sound, try sliding your tongue between your upper and lower teeth, but don't let your tongue stick out from your teeth. The tip of your tongue should be caught in between the teeth. As you do so, exhale though them.

That should do for 'sixth'.

When 'th' is followed by other alphabets, for ex, 'this', 'thyroid', and 'parenthesis', you quickly retract your tongue from your teeth.

At least that's how I learned.

By the way, is 'the tip of your tongue' correct? or should I have omitted 'the'?
how's my explanation overall? Could I have used better structure and words?

Last edited:

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Oh yeah, I was wondering about words such as 'months' or 'clothes' - I just omit 'th' sound and go like 'mons' and 'clouz'... It just seems impossible to pronounce th and s right next to each other. How would you pronounce them?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Your explanation was fine. The trouble is when you have to do tongue gymnastics. In connected speech, many native speakers would do what you're doing and remover or almost remove the 'th'. It's not impossible to say for us, or we wouldn't have the sounds. Your strategy is a good one because 'I'been here for six mons' is easier to understand than for 'six monthis'. ;-)

far-mash

I do agree with a suggestion that we pronounce months as mons until we are able to pronounce it the right way . Same applies to clothes . It is all a matter of practice. Good luck to you! : :roll:

trustM

Member Type
English Teacher
"particularly" And I have problems with "-tly" endings, I find it hard to make "tl" combo sound good. But I'm not a native speaker and maybe it's just difficult to me.

Carmelita

For me, it would have to be "Schedule" and "Moustache", try as I may, I cannot pronounce it correctly. Most of my students have a hard time with "Refrigerator" and they pronounce it syllable by syllable and it sounds fine, but once they put it all together they get many variations on the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.