What word do you think is the hardest to pronounce???

• Thread starter Ramid
  • Start date
  • Views : 139,970
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I stress the third syllable.

annapische

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,
I find it difficult to pronounce the word "debate"...some people stress the "e", others the "a" :-?

blueabell2go

Member Type
Other
I've always heard "debate" as deBATE with the stress on the final syllable. The first vowel is like the "schwa". At least that's the case in British English.

I can understand your question because the word "rebate" is pronounced REEbate with the stress on the first syllable.

Just part of the rich tapestry of confusion that is English language pronuncation!

blueabell2go

Member Type
Other
Or pronunciation even!

My most difficult word to pronounce is "reciprocity". "Itinerary" can cause native speakers a few problems, too.

intrepid

Member Type
Other
It seems that those from whom we expect the best in verbal presentation will sometimes disappoint us with poor pronunciation. I refer to saying "nuculer" instead of "nuclear".

Ruthpriscilla

Member Type
Other
Although my attempt to pronounce 'phthisis' failed, I still think the pronunciation of English words is easy if you know the rules of pronunciation. "The Writing Road to Reading" a book on the Spalding method <Welcome to Spalding Education International> of learning to speak and write English is a most excellent way to learn to pronounce English words. I learned this method through Wanda Senseri and am using teaching materials from her company, Back Home Industries <BHI Home Page> for teaching English.

This method showed me how to help my students learn from the ground up. They must start with the 70 phonograms to be able to easily pronou<nce all the sounds we use to speak English.

English.com is an excellent place to improve your Englishn skills, because, like doing anything in life, "Practice makes perfect".

Member Type
Student or Learner
may be it seems easy for you, while i think "presentation" and "usual" are the most difficult ones

manywords

Member Type
Student or Learner
I don't think I have any problems in pronunciation until I met the word "skeptics". It's really hard to pronunce at night, in a low voice.

Shibby

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hmm... I hate the world 'uncomfortable'... I can prononunce it, but it takes me some time and I have to take a deep breath before saying it out loud :-D And I hate saying 'jewelerry'... I don't know, why :shock:

zskyhawk

Member Type
Other
;-) You have to concentrate on your silly bells to effectively overcome pronunciation

deki

Member Type
Academic
I find very difficult to pronounce the capital of Cambodia_phonm pehn

nydiahampton

Member Type
Student or Learner
Until now, I remembered a word that was and still so difficult for me to pronounce. Once, in my reading class, the teacher asked me to read the text, and in it there was that word that I hated at that moment. THe word was "Sensitivity", while I was reading, I thought it would be very easy cause I used to descripe myself as a sensitive person and used to write it in many of my writings, but when I saw the ending of the word, I felt helpless to read it. The teacher tried to help me with it, but I gave up all the attempts.

Do you really think Sensitivity is a hard word to pronounce?

Well sensitivity isn't the hardest:bad-word: the most diffucult for me is battery i just can't pronounced correctly.

lillyalbornoz

Member Type
Student or Learner
To be honest for me there are plenty of words that are difficult to pronounce and one of them is antibiotics. waooo another is doubts or statistics. Give it try.

scieranski

Member Type
Student or Learner
For me, "conscientious" was always one hell of an effort to pronounce in a right way. ;-)

penelope87

Member Type
Student or Learner
The verb looks so simple, but I have a big difficulty to pronunce to laugh.
I can' speak this word right: my tongue curl up and it sounds ridiculous. :-|

aous02

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
What about this word?
"sprachgful" which means an intuitive sense of what's linguistically correct.
It's borrower from German

DivingDeep

Member Type
Student or Learner
Definitely "association" word is very hard to pronounce for me:-? all letters are confusing my tongue:silly:

Status
Not open for further replies.