Post Thanks / Like

Default purchase and perches

Is there any difference in pronouncing other than the vowel spelling in perches and purchase? in British English?
    I feel there is as they are stressed differently but a colleague said there is none. Pls help us out. Thanks

orangutan is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: purchase and perches

Quote Originally Posted by dranoelwcs View Post
    Is there any difference in pronouncing other than the vowel spelling in perches and purchase? in British English?
    I feel there is as they are stressed differently but a colleague said there is none. Pls help us out. Thanks
    The main difference is that the final consonant is voiced in "perches" and unvoiced in "purchase". I think also the second vowel in "purchase" may vary between speakers (in my pronunciation it is closer to a "schwa").

Not a phoneticist, comes without warranty.

Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In Standard British English the only difference is the voicing at the end - /s/ for 'purchase' and /z/ for 'perches'. The second vowel is different too - /əs/ in 'purchase' and /ɪz/ in 'perches'. However, the difference between these two vowels in connected speech would be minimal and difficult to tell the difference between.

I'd guess there is a greater difference in pronunciation depending on accent. I was suprised to find that these words were pronounced the same in standard English. In my own accent, they would never be confused:

Purchase - ['pʌɾʧɪs]
    Perches - ['pɛɾʧɪz]

orangutan is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    In Standard British English the only difference is the voicing at the end - /s/ for 'purchase' and /z/ for 'perches'. The second vowel is different too - /əs/ in 'purchase' and /ɪz/ in 'perches'. However, the difference between these two vowels in connected speech would be minimal and difficult to tell the difference between.
    Yes, my initial reaction was that the vowel was the same. I think for many speakers, in England as well, it is.

I'd guess there is a greater difference in pronunciation depending on accent. I was suprised to find that these words were pronounced the same in standard English. In my own accent, they would never be confused:

Purchase - ['pʌɾʧɪs]
    Perches - ['pɛɾʧɪz]
    That is interesting - thank you.