Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    joham is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default cannot suffer the cold weather

    This plant cannot (= is not able/possible to) suffer/suffer from the cold weather.

    Are 'suffer' and 'suffer from' suitable for this sentence? Do 'bear' and 'stand' work better?

    Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: cannot suffer the cold weather

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    This plant cannot (= is not able/possible to) suffer/suffer from the cold weather.

    Are 'suffer' and 'suffer from' suitable for this sentence? Do 'bear' and 'stand' work better?

    Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.
    'To suffer' as you say, means 'bear' or 'stand'. 'To suffer from something' means means to be in some discomfort or pain caused by that thing.

  3. #3
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: cannot suffer the cold weather

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    'To suffer' as you say, means 'bear' or 'stand'. 'To suffer from something' means means to be in some discomfort or pain caused by that thing.
    Up to a point...

    The plant will suffer if it gets cold. When it's cold, the plant suffers. This is what happens in certain circumstances.

    But the plant can't bear or stand the cold. This is true all the time. The wise gardener knows this general truth about the plant, and doesn't let it (actually) suffer.

    If I heard 'This plant suffers from cold' it would sound odd to me - it would sound like a stilted way of diagnosing an actual problem: 'This plant is suffering from cold'.

    b

  4. #4
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: cannot suffer the cold weather

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Up to a point...

    The plant will suffer if it gets cold. When it's cold, the plant suffers. This is what happens in certain circumstances.

    But the plant can't bear or stand the cold. This is true all the time. The wise gardener knows this general truth about the plant, and doesn't let it (actually) suffer.

    If I heard 'This plant suffers from cold' it would sound odd to me - it would sound like a stilted way of diagnosing an actual problem: 'This plant is suffering from cold'.

    b
    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    This plant cannot (= is not able/possible to) suffer/suffer from the cold weather.

    Are 'suffer' and 'suffer from' suitable for this sentence? Do 'bear' and 'stand' work better?

    Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.
    From the way the OP worded this question, I thought he was asking about the correctness of 'This plant cannot suffer the cold weather'
    or whether he should use 'bear' or 'stand'. My answer was in that light.
    (He posted another almost identical question which I had already answered, this was a kind of follow up)

  5. #5
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: cannot suffer the cold weather

    Here is the link to the first question: http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...d-weather.html

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: cannot suffer the cold weather

    Thanks for that; in the full context your answer makes sense.

    Incidentally, when I said "If I heard 'This plant suffers from cold' it would sound odd to me", I wasn't thinking straight. 'This plant suffers from cold' would sound perfectly OK - but it would be a general statement about that sort of plant. It was 'cannot suffer' that bothered me, and as you said in the other note that sound pretty dated.

    b

    PS For horticulturists (not relevant to the 'suffer' question, but interesting:

    Gardeners writing or talking about plants typically anthropomorphize: 'Daisies hate the shade' 'Hostas love having their feet in boggy ground'....
    Last edited by BobK; 07-Aug-2009 at 14:40. Reason: Added PS

Similar Threads

  1. What do you like more?…Cold or hot weather?
    By ARUK2008 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2009, 17:31
  2. [General] cold chisel, cold metal, cold steel, cold iron
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Sep-2008, 11:47
  3. cold
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-May-2008, 08:06
  4. collocations
    By Magdalena S. in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2008, 06:23
  5. Help with proofreading
    By marseeprint in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2007, 09:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •