Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    halfknot is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello! I need some grammar check

Hi! I'm barely registered on this forum and I choose as introduction a text intendend for grammar check. I'm a 16 year old highschool student from Romania. I am at/on (?) an English class but I frequently do grammar mistakes even in short sentences. I must confess that I'm not learning everything that I should do but I still think, internet is more useful than my notebook. I would have been to English Contests if my english had been better. My pronunciation is worst than my grammar but to improve this, I know that there are different methods such as listening english music, reading english books aloud, talking to/with (?) myself in English and so on. I'm not stretching this any longer because I suppose it isn't a pleasure for any of you to read simple/basic/standard (?) things about an anonymous and correct every mistake that he has.

Thanks for reading and I want, if it's possible, to return as soon as is possible (it's the second time i'm using possible in this sentence but I'm not sure what would sound better and still keep(s) (?) the meaning) (without disturbing anyone) with another short text to be checked when you have the necessary free time requested for a grammar correction. (sorry if the above parentheses were confusing)

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello! I need some grammar check

I'm a 16-year-old high school student from Romania and, even though I am taking an English class, I frequently make mistakes even in short sentences.

I must confess that I'm not learning everything that I should, because I think the Internet is more useful than my textbook. If I apply myself, however, I could probably enter an English writing contest, not speaking contests though, as my pronunciation is worst than my grammar. I know there are different methods available to help improve pronunciation such as, listening to music, reading books aloud, talking to myself in English and so on. The thing is, I just can't seem to apply myself.

I'll stop here because I know that my writing isn't a pleasure for any of you to read.
    Thanks for reading, and I wonder if you could correct it as soon as possible (it's the second time I've used 'possible' in that sentence but I'm not sure what word or phrase would sound better and still keep the meaning).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the grammar check. It has been very useful as I understood some things.

There were some misunderstandings in the correction - I didn't say i can enter in an English Contest, I said I would have joined if my english had been better (maybe my formulation is wrong) and at the end of my post, I didn't ask for a fast correction, I said just that I'll come back later (I think the confusion comes from the parentheses).

Thanks again for taking your time to help me!

csheywood is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by halfknot View Post
    I didn't say i can enter in an English Contest, I said I would have joined if my english had been better.
    Perhaps Soup is trying to encourage you when he says if you apply yourself, you can enter English contests. You never know, the result might be better than you expect. Some experience now is useful for the time when you have to do a test or exam later, when the pressure is greater. Have you considered the Olimpiade? You should remember that a result doesn't have to be 100% to be acceptable - at least not in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have problems with the pressure so I don't go to contests for gaining experience anymore. Yes, I had tried the English Olimpiade but just the highschool phase, after that, I've given up because there were some Olimpiades where I tought that I would be doing better. (I'm sure I have several mistakes in this short paragraph)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

I must confess that I'm not learning everything that I should do but I still think, internet is more useful than my notebook. I would have been to English Contests if my english had been better. My pronunciation is worst than my grammar ...
    The transition from one idea to the next doesn't quite flow, which is why I changed the tense.

As is, try,

• I would have entered English speaking contests (e.g., when I was younger/in the past) if my English had been better.

Quote Originally Posted by halfknot
    Thanks for reading and I want, if it's possible, to return as soon as is possible
    It's OK. More clearly,

• Thanks for reading, and I will check back as soon as I can.

As for this part here,
    (it's the second time i'm using possible in this sentence but I'm not sure what would sound better and still keep(s) (?) the meaning)
    try,
    I've used possible twice in that sentence because I'm not sure how to rephrase it so that it has the same meaning ...
    Note, there shouldn't be an -s on keep in your original:

• ... and (that I) still keep the same meaning.
    As for,
    (without disturbing anyone) with another short text to be checked when you have the necessary free time requested for a grammar correction. (sorry if the above parentheses were confusing)
    I'm not sure what it means. Could you rephrase it?

Post Thanks / Like

If i cut out the parentheses:

Thanks for reading and I want, if it's possible, to return as soon as is possible (without disturbing anyone) with another short text to be checked when you have the necessary free time requested for a grammar correction.

I think now it's more clear than before. I shouldn't have put that parentheses there. I just wanted to say that I'll come back later with another short text.

Thanks for the latest explanations!

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by csheywood View Post
    Perhaps Soup is trying to encourage you when he says if you apply yourself, you can enter English contests. You never know, the result might be better than you expect. Some experience now is useful for the time when you have to do a test or exam later, when the pressure is greater. Have you considered the Olimpiade? You should remember that a result doesn't have to be 100% to be acceptable - at least not in my book.
    In my experience, Soup (who is female), is always very encouraging towards students, perhaps more so than most on this forum.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

If i cut out the parentheses:

Thanks for reading and I want, if it's possible, to return as soon as is possible (without disturbing anyone) with another short text to be checked when you have the necessary free time requested for a grammar correction.

I think now it's more clear than before. I shouldn't have put that parentheses there. I just wanted to say that I'll come back later with another short text.

Thanks for the latest explanations!
    You're most welcome.

As for the last bit, above, you could write,

Thanks for reading. I hope to return, as soon as I can, with another short text to be checked when you have (the) time.

I need some grammar check checked.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    In my experience, Soup (who is female), is always very encouraging towards students, perhaps more so than most on this forum.
    That's very kind of you. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast