• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

far-reaching consequences/in consequence/man of consequence/take the consequences/

Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Despite the apparently small health effects, this accident had far-reaching consequences: the credibility of the safety record of the nuclear power industry fell markedly.
    far-reaching consequences = big-consequences = pregnant in consequences = heavy in consequences
    In consequence, he traveled back and forth between this place and the city.
    in consequence = as a result, therefore
    He must be a man of consequence.
    man of consequence = an influential person
    You must be prepared to take the consequences if you do this.
    take the consequences = face the consequences
    Blount was held unduly close to his work, consequently he was frequenting the coast.
    consequently = as a result, therefore
    Gregory had not followed Blountís advice and the consequence was that he had an unpleasant experience on the road.
    consequence = something that logically or naturally follows from an action or condition

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: far-reaching consequences/in consequence/man of consequence/take the consequences

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Despite the apparently small health effects, this accident had far-reaching consequences: the credibility of the safety record of the nuclear power industry fell markedly.
    far-reaching consequences = big-consequences = pregnant in consequences = heavy in consequences= great influence on large number of people/things. Ok
    In consequence, he traveled back and forth between this place and the city.
    in consequence = as a result, therefore Ok it can be better demostrated by another sentence: He withdrew from the Olympic and in cosequence was forgotten.
    He must be a man of consequence.
    man of consequence = an influential person Ok
    You must be prepared to take the consequences if you do this.
    take the consequences = face the consequences Ok
    Blount was held unduly close to his work, consequently he was frequenting the coast.
    consequently = as a result, therefore Ok
    Gregory had not followed Blountís advice and the consequence was that he had an unpleasant experience on the road.
    consequence = something that logically or naturally follows from an action or condition Ok

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,
    All are fine