• Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face in which sense?

Hi,
    I' d like to know if it is possible to say "In which sense?" if you didn't understand what someone is telling you. I mean, you want to ask him/her to explain what they are saying, and not just to reapeat the sentence they have uttered.
    I'm imagining the following situation:
    the teacher asks a question to a student and the student doe not completely understand the question, that is, he is not sure what the teacher wants him to answer. Can he ask " In which sense"? as an alternative to "What do you mean?" ?
    If not, in which similar context would the question "In which sense?" be acceptable? And is "What do you mean (by that)?" a good alternative to it?

Thanks.
    Rip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: in which sense?

Quote Originally Posted by ripley
    Hi,
    I' d like to know if it is possible to say "In which sense?" if you didn't understand what someone is telling you. I mean, you want to ask him/her to explain what they are saying, and not just to reapeat the sentence they have uttered.
    I'm imagining the following situation:
    the teacher asks a question to a student and the student doe not completely understand the question, that is, he is not sure what the teacher wants him to answer. Can he ask " In which sense"? as an alternative to "What do you mean?" ?
    If not, in which similar context would the question "In which sense?" be acceptable? And is "What do you mean (by that)?" a good alternative to it?

Thanks.
    Rip.
    "In which sense" doesn't sound right. I would just say:
    "Would you, please, rephrase your question?", "I don't think I understand the question", " Would you, please, elaborate on what you mean", " I think I have lost you", " I think I am a little confused, would you reword your question for me, please", etc.etc.