Thread: grammar

white Guest

Unhappy grammar

Dear Teacher,

What role does grammar play in any language situation.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by white
    Dear Teacher,

What role does grammar play in any language situation.

Thanks.
    Well, there are many schools of thought about grammar and its importance.
    Let me highlight a few:

1. Some say the appropriateness of grammar rules is a snobbish concept in itself. Hell with the rules as long as you can understand others and be understood. A lot of people immigrating to English speaking countries nowadays only want to learn what's absolutely necessary and won't bother with any grammar at all. So if they are about to open their own business, their knowledge of English will be usually limited to certain phrases and words necessary to run that business. That's all they need and that's what works for them, I guess.
    2. Having that in mind, this would be a huge disservice to people who are enrolled in English classes and want to learn English the proper way...so they can always understand others and be understood themselves. To know grammar is to have the foundations to build on long after you have finished your ESL classes. With proper grammar and some imagination you can accomplish so much more - you write better, you speak with clarity and you have a whole new world open to you by expanding it with your own creativity.

Just think about the consequences of not being understood: (true bloopers)

"Hamlet, rations out his situation by relieving himself in a long soliloquy".

"Queen Elizabeth was the Virgin Queen. As a queen she was a success. Her navy went out and defeated the Spanish Armadillo". (whoever wrote that, I don't think he passed...).

"Chistopher Columbus was a great navigator who discovered America while cursing about the Atlantic".

"Lady Macbeth tries to convince Macbeth to kill the King by attacking his manhood"....I can just imagine that...hope it was a painless procedure.

That's my two cents on English grammar and its importance.
    Last edited by Marylin; 09-Feb-2005 at 03:47.