I've just written a small story about hockey, Canada and Russia. Could you polish it up please? I haven't yet written the end so don't be very critical, will you?

Hockey and Its Motherland

In this small story (I failed to think of a better word) I would like to tell you about ice hockey and its motherland.
Hockey came into being at the beginning of the 20th century and immediately became very popular. The motherland of hockey is considered to be Canada. If you look at the results got (it seems to me that it'd be better if I used the word 'shown' here) by the Canadian national team you will have no doubt that it was the Canadians who invented ice hockey (...all your doubts about whether it was the Canadians who invented hockey will be dispelled.)
The Canadian team was considered an odds-on favourite at all major tournaments held both in Canada and all over the world.
The Canadian hegemony had lasted up to the moment when the USSR was allowed to take part in the Olympic Games in 1956. Since then the Canadian team had stopped being considered an overwhelming favourite.
The Soviet hegemony had lasted up to the collapse of the USSR in 1991 when owing to the economic collapse the development of hockey stopped.
Due to the lock-out in NHL Russian hockey is now developing again as a lot of the NHL stars (both Russians and foreigners) transferred to the Russian Championship.

Frankly, I'm more interested in grammar mistakes. To tell you the truth, I don't really know the ice hockey came into being, so don't pay much attention to such mistakes.