• Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: direct x indirect object (simple)

Quote Originally Posted by orangutan View Post
    As Philo and others have pointed out, terminology here varies a lot. But "Indirect Object" is often restricted to nominals (whether flagged by a preposition or not) whose semantic role is something like Recipient or Beneficiary (the classic uses of the Dative in languages like Latin). For other prepositional complements (associated with roles like agent, instrument or location) the term I am most familiar with is "Oblique".
    Regarding the variation of terminology and definitions, I am aware that happens in many fields of human knowledge. That is something important and kind of delightful to the experts however somehow harmful for the novice or beginner student (me).
    That is the reason I have already asked here in this forum, unsucessfully, for sugestions on some reliable reference grammar books.

philo2009 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: direct x indirect object (simple)

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Regarding the variation of terminology and definitions, I am aware that happens in many fields of human knowledge. That is something important and kind of delightful to the experts however somehow harmful for the novice or beginner student (me).
    That is the reason I have already asked here in this forum, unsucessfully, for sugestions on some reliable reference grammar books.
    You will probably find that R. Quirk et al.'s Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language is still considered one of the most definitive and authoritative guides to English grammar available. At something in excess of 1,600 pages, it may well contain more detail than you want on any given topic, but you should find an entry on virtually any aspect of grammar that interests (or puzzles!) you.

On account of some rather unpalatable idiosyncrasies (including a very dubious attempt at justifying trendy hypercorrectisms such as 'between you and I') I would, quite frankly, advise against its newer rival, the similarly named - and similarly lengthy - Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, but, depending on your budget, you might find it useful to some degree as back-up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2