• English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: academic

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    Academic can mean everything the American Heritage Dictionary says it can mean, depending on how one uses it and in which context one uses it.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=academic+

Wow, I'm glad we finally have a definitive source of semantics for World English!
    But wait ... wouldn't this dictionary reflect American usage, and perhaps ignore definitions of 'academic' from other English-speaking cultures?

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    You don't need to unite them, just search for existing threads before starting a second one.
    That would be useful if posters named their threads 'academic', etc. But they don't. They more often use pointless titles like "help me!!!" and "correct my grammer".

PS, to all:
    If you are a thread originator who chooses specific descriptive titles, Well done! This reply doesn't apply to you.

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    Academic can mean everything the American Heritage Dictionary says it can mean, depending on how one uses it and in which context one uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    But wait ... wouldn't this dictionary reflect American usage, and perhaps ignore definitions of 'academic' from other English-speaking cultures?
    It is very important for us non-native speakers to know which reference linguistic books are considered reliable by the native speakers. Mainly dictionaries and grammar books. In this sense, PROESL's post represents an important contribution.
    I have, unsucessfully, asked about such trusted references on some threads here.

Of course when someone posts we must know how to filter, regarding his profile information, which English variant he is referring to.

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I'm glad we finally have a definitive source of semantics for World English!
    Yes, people from large, important countries usually view us small and middling countries as somewhere between non-existent and insignificant.

Americans, for example, have an annual baseball tournament they call the "World Series" (only my city, Toronto, represents the outside world in it) and then when an American team wins, which is all but inevitable, the US press calls them the "World Champions" -- even though Japan, Cuba, Korea and Latin American countries often defeat them in truly international tournaments.

Oh well, what can you do? Without jingoism, Rome would never fall, and we need a change from time to time.

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Yes, people from large, important countries usually view us small and middling countries as somewhere between non-existent and insignificant.

Americans, for example, have an annual baseball tournament they call the "World Series" (only my city, Toronto, represents the outside world in it) and then when an American team wins, which is all but inevitable, the US press calls them the "World Champions" -- even though Japan, Cuba, Korea and Latin American countries often defeat them in truly international tournaments.

Oh well, what can you do? Without jingoism, Rome would never fall, and we need a change from time to time.
    The contributions from all English native speakers are very important to us English studenst. It is extremelly important for us to read your opinions regarding English usage.

That is what makes UsingEnglish strong: Its power to unite Americans, Australians, Canadians, British, Indians and all other English speaking countries under the same subject - the English language.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: academic

I think the Amerian Heritage Dictionary defines "academic" thoroughly.

It's a good question, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2