svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ware, merchandise, goods, commodity

Do they all refer to articles of trade as opposed to services?
    Also I was wondering which word(s) may be used for manufactured items as opposed to natural products, like fruits, vegetables, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ware, merchandise, goods, commodity

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Do they all refer to articles of trade as opposed to services?
    Also I was wondering which word(s) may be used for manufactured items as opposed to natural products, like fruits, vegetables, etc.
    merchandise - This can refer to all products in general. I don't think this is often used for agricultural products, however. This word is also a verb.

goods - This, also, can refer to all products in general, including food items, or agricultural products.

commodity - This typically refers to items traded on the stock market, such as raw materials. It can be used in other ways, and is, but that's how I believe it is primarily used. Agricultural items are commodities. I once heard a purchasing agent say "that's not my commodity", which was another way of saying "that's not my job; don't bother me with it."

ware - This word is not commonly used. It survives in daily usage as part of the compound noun "warehouse".