Trishia Guest

Unhappy difference between the inverted e and the sound of the letter o in book

what's the difference between the inverted e sound in the word about and the sound of the letters oo in the word book? and how do you identify if that word contains a schwa sound??? it's very confusing when transcribing... i'm sorry i'm asking too many questions... I'm only thirteen and i really need all the info i can get so I could pass my test. :)

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: difference between the inverted e and the sound of the letter o in book

Quote Originally Posted by Trishia View Post
    what's the difference between the inverted e sound in the word about and the sound of the letters oo in the word book? and how do you identify if that word contains a schwa sound??? it's very confusing when transcribing... i'm sorry i'm asking too many questions... I'm only thirteen and i really need all the info i can get so I could pass my test. :)
    The oo in 'book' is more forward and rounded than schwa. Purse your lips as if you are going to kiss someone on the cheek. Half way to this position, you can say 'oo' as in book.