Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb in each of Japan's two ...

Hello.

It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb in each of Japan's two cities: Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    Is this sentence grammatically correct? Are there any other ways of saying the same thing?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb in each of Japan's two ...

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello.

It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb in each of Japan's two cities: Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    Is this sentence grammatically correct? Are there any other ways of saying the same thing?

Thank you.
    It's grammatically correct, but the phrase "in each of Japan's two cities" makes it sound like these are the only two cities in Japan. Here's how I would rewrite it:

It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb on two of Japan's major cities: Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Also, use "on" instead of "in" because from the sky, the cities, on the ground, are surfaces - on for surfaces - in for closed areas or areas with boundaries of some sort.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb in each of Japan's two ...

It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb on two of Japan's major cities: Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Can I change Japan's into Japanese?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb in each of Japan's two ...

Can I change Japan's into Japanese?
    You can use "Japanese" in place of "Japan" if you rephrase it.

It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb on two major Japanese cities: Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb in each of Japan's two ...

It's been 45 years since the US dropped an atomic bomb on two major Japanese cities: Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The US dropped two bombs on Japan, so wouldn't it be correct to say "... on each of two major Japanese cities ..."?

Post Thanks / Like

The US dropped two bombs on Japan, so wouldn't it be correct to say "... on each of two major Japanese cities ..."?
    Yes, you could phrase it that way, but the phrase "on each of two major Japanese cities" sounds a bit circuitous, and, perhaps, not really very natural.

Post Thanks / Like

Would it also be correct to say "It's 45 years since..."? Any difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yuhan View Post
    Would it also be correct to say "It's 45 years since..."? Any difference?
    I would not advise saying it that way. It should be "it's been 45 years since ...". However -- I hear this usage in the news from time to time. It's not something that would occur to me to say in a natural way, and I believe it only makes things confusing for ELLs (English Language Learners). So, yes, some native English speakers use this form, but I don't advise doing so.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nice to meet you./Nice meeting you.

Quote Originally Posted by yuhan View Post
    Thank you, and what about "It's a long time since I rode a bicycle."?

"Nice to meet you." is a way of saying hello (comple form"It's nice to meet you."),and
    "Nice meeting you." is a way of saying goodbye (complete form "It's been nice meeting you "), but some people do say "Nice to meet you." as a way of saying goodbye, I'm confused.
    yuhan,

Please start a new thread to ask your own question. Please delete post #9.