Pawel_26 Guest

CV and cover letter

Hi,

Could you check and correct my CV and cover letter, please?

The text of my cover letter:

7 February 2005

Dear Ms./Mr. ...........................

I found out from the www.reed.co.uk web site of your need for an data entry clerk. I am sure that my recently completed education and work experience make me a strong candidate for the position. Please find attached a copy of my CV.

I graduated from the Warsaw School of Economics in 2004 with a Masterís degree in Business Administration. It is the best school of economics in Poland. While working towards my Masterís degree I was employed as an office worker in Commune Office in Poland. I gained a broad knowledge of working within office environment. I worked as a part of a team and I received a lot of compliments from my co-workers. I am convinced that my education and work experience have prepared me for the position in Your company. As Poland is a member of the European Union I need no work permit to work in the United Kingdom.

I am open and communicative but at the same time exact and have a sense of duty. I tend to get very engaged in all my activities, even if they are after hours. I am an enthusiastic worker, and enjoy working in a team.

The position you outline is one, which I feel can enhance my practical background. I am sure I could apply the combination of my knowledge and experience to your business. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the job vacancy with you on the telephone or at an interview. I can be contacted most easily on my mobile or by e-mail (see details at the top of this letter).

Yours sincerely,

Pawel Wozniak

The text of my CV:

CURRICULUM VITAE

Personal data:

name: Pawel Wozniak
    address: ul. Zamkowa 120, 00-250 Warsaw
    date of birth: 10 March 1978
    e-mail: EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    phone: 0048 22 123 45 67

Education:

2002 - 2004 Warsaw School of Economics, Warsaw, Poland
    Master's Degree in Business Administration
    1999 - 2002 Higher School of Finance and Banking, Radom, Poland
    Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Work experience:

11.2000 - 05.2001 Commune Office, Jasieniec, Poland
    office worker in the Local Development Department; mainly office work (worked as part of team involved in the development of the local area)

Skills and Other:

languages: Polish - native
    English - very good (knowledge of Business English)
    Russian - conversational
    computer skills: perfect: MS Office (Word, Excell, Access, Power Point),e-mail, Internet; very good: Adobe Photoshop CS, Paint Shop Pro, Effective Site Studio (making www sites), ability to work with various operation systems
    hobbies: books, Internet, computers, history of the Second World War, biking
    others: driving licence

Other activities:

2000 - 2001 preparing articles for the local newspaper
    1994 - 1999 member of the local football team

Thanks in advance for your help

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CV and cover letter

Could you check and correct my CV and cover letter, please?

The text of my cover letter:

7 February 2005

Dear Ms./Mr. ........................... (no need for a full stop in BrE when the abbreviation ends with the last letter of the word, so Mr ...., but Rev. ....)

I found out from the www.reed.co.uk web site of your need for an data entry clerk. I am sure that my recently completed education and work experience make me a strong candidate for the position. Please find attached a copy of my CV.

I graduated from the Warsaw School of Economics, the finest school of economics in Poland (Pawel, I did this because the way you had it looked a bit simplistic) , in 2004 with a Masterís degree in Business Administration. While working towards my Masterís degree I was employed as an office worker in (the???- I'm not sure what this office is) Commune Office in Poland, where I gained a broad knowledge of working within an office environment. I worked as a part of a team and I received a lot of compliments from my co-workers (I don't like this much- they could have been saying you were wearing nice trousers- how about and received positive feeback from my co-workers??). I am convinced that my education and work experience have prepared me for the position in your company. As Poland is a member of the European Union, I need no work permit to work in the United Kingdom.

I am open and communicative but at the same time exacting (what do you mean by exact here- I'm not sure I get it) and have a sense of duty. I tend (sounds weak-I am very involved in all my activities??) to get very engaged in all my activities, even if they are after hours. I am an enthusiastic worker, and enjoy working in a team.

The position you outline is one (no comma) which I feel will (do you enhance them or do they enhance you?? )enhance my practical background. I am sure I could apply the combination of my knowledge and experience to your business. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the job vacancy with you on the telephone or at an interview. I can be contacted most easily on my mobile or by e-mail (see details at the top of this letter).

Yours sincerely,

Pawel Wozniak (I'd be tempted to put Mr here, as they might not know- I'm assuming from the Czech name Pavel that you're male)

The text of my CV:

CURRICULUM VITAE

Personal data:

name: Pawel Wozniak (Use sentence case- Name, etc)
    address: ul. Zamkowa 120, 00-250 Warsaw
    date of birth: 10 March 1978
    e-mail: EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    phone: 0048 22 123 45 67

Education:

2002 - 2004 Warsaw School of Economics, Warsaw, Poland
    Master's Degree in Business Administration
    1999 - 2002 Higher School of Finance and Banking, Radom, Poland
    Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Work experience:

11.2000 - 05.2001 Commune Office, Jasieniec, Poland
    Office worker in the Local Development Department; mainly office work (worked as part of team involved in the development of the local area)

Skills and Other:

languages: Polish - native (Again, capitalise the first word, IMO)
    English - very good (knowledge of Business English)
    Russian - conversational
    computer skills: perfect (I'd say proficient, not perfect, or highly proficiant- can anyone be perfect????) : MS Office (Word, Excell (Probably not perfect if you spell it wrong- Excel ), Access, PowerPoint),e-mail, Internet; very good: (to be honest, I'd probably lump them all together as proficient, rather than being so exact) Adobe Photoshop CS, Paint Shop Pro, Effective Site Studio (making www sites), ability (able) to work with various operation systems
    hobbies: books, Internet, computers, history of the Second World War, biking
    other skills: clean driving licence

Other activities:

2000 - 2001 preparing articles for the local newspaper
    1994 - 1999 member of the local football team

Pawel_26 Guest

Thank you tdol. I really appreciate your help.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like