• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hammered two nails in the closet wall/drove the nail into the wall/knock nails in

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to share with me your opinion concerning the plausibility of the following sentences?

She had hammered two nails in the closet wall on which to hang her swamp boots.

You know you are not allowed to knock nails in those walls,”Mariam said impatiently. “They crumble. Don’t keep on about it, Ellen, I’ve said no.”

He drove the nail into the wall. They found that a nail had been driven through a gas pipe, thus causing a leakage of gas.

Though you have driven in some more nails, I’m afraid the shelf will not hold the weight of all those books.

He hung the bag up on the nail.

He drove the nail into the pine tree, holding it close and hitting it gently with the flat of the axe.

When I woke the next morning…he has gone. I found his note pinned on the sliding door.

He has put new sheets of hardboard on all the walls and pinned pictures on them.

Thumb-tacked to the door-frame were photos of his family.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 16-Aug-2009 at 16:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hammered two nails in the closet wall/drove the nail into the wall/knock nails i

Are you concerned about how the nouns and verbs are the same words? I don't understand the request here.

vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hammered two nails in the closet wall/drove the nail into the wall/knock nails i

Hi Mr. Spivey,

Thank you for your anxiety. I will try to shed light on the unclear points in my original post and make clear my position in order to get this straight.
    I am in doubt whether the sentences in my post are written right enough so I am in a request for your endorsement.
    There is no denying the fact that there is a natty overburdened state of English language as well as there is an embarrassing padding which caused sometimes an indescribable mess by its usage.
    Among other things what do you think about the following flaming verbosity?
    nail on. nail in, nail up, nail down, nail together, drive in, hammer together, hammer in, knock home, ram in, knock away, rap, tap, crack, pound, bray, scotch, swingle, beat, percuss, touch wood, he struck at Tim and down fell Tom, he’s fifty if he’s a day, clink glasses
    And what about the following figurative expressions?
    Stand nailed to the ground. or Stand stock-still. or Brake to a standstill.

Regards,

V.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to share with me your opinion concerning the plausibility of the following sentences?

She had hammered two nails in the closet wall on which to hang her swamp boots.

You know you are not allowed to knock nails in those walls,”Mariam said impatiently. “They crumble. Don’t keep on about it, Ellen, I’ve said no.”

He drove the nail into the wall. They found that a nail had been driven through a gas pipe, thus causing a leakage of gas.

Though you have driven in some more nails, I’m afraid the shelf will not hold the weight of all those books.

He hung the bag up on the nail.

He drove the nail into the pine tree, holding it close and hitting it gently with the flat of the axe.

When I woke the next morning…he has gone. I found his note pinned on the sliding door.

He has put new sheets of hardboard on all the walls and pinned pictures on them.

Thumb-tacked to the door-frame were photos of his family.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    All these uses are fine.