• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

Where is your needle and thread? or Where ar your needle and thread?

Dear teachers,

Here are a few words of Clarence Day which drew my attention.

“Not a thing is done for a man in this house. I even have to sew my own buttons. Where is your needle and thread?”
    Mother reluctantly gave these implements to him. He marched off, sat on the edge of his sofa in the middle of his bedroom, and got ready to work… He laid his scissors, the spool of thread, and his waistcoat down on the sofa beside him, wet his fingers, held the needle high up and well out in front and began poking the thread at the eye.

Would you be kind enough to tell me why there is written “Where is your needle and thread?” instead of “Where are your needle and thread?”

Would you be also kind enough to share with me your opinion concerning the mentioned collocations of “poke” bellow?

He gives me a poke.
    He kept poking at me. (to poke at = to jab)
    He pokes me in the ribs.
    Don’t poke yours head out of the window. (to poke = to extend
    Poke your nose out (of the window) and see if it's still raining.…
    The animal was in the hole because it left its tail poking out.
    I have to poke a hole through the wall. (to poke = to produce by piercing)
    She poked her head through the window.
    They poked fun at Willie's haircut(poke fun at =make fun of, mock, ridicule)
    Stop poking in where you're not wanted!
    The room is cold, poke the fire up a little. (poke the fire up = stir up the fire)
    He poked himself up in a dull town. (poke up in a dull town = blunder away in a dull town)
    He poked the stick in the hole, but no animal cameout.
    He poked at the meat with his fork,but it seemed undercooked.
    A man must have poked into Latin and Greek(to poke = to search; to feel one's way, as in the dark; to grope; as, to poke about)
    The detective poked around in the missing man’s office. (poke around = to search about; look into and under things.)
    He didn't feel well, and poked around the house.
    That policeman had no business poking about in our garage without a court order. What was he poking around for?
    The tops of his shoes had worn so thin that his toes were poking through.…

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Where is your needle and thread? or Where ar your needle and thread?

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Here are a few words of Clarence Day which drew my attention.

“Not a thing is done for a man in this house. I even have to sew my own buttons. Where is your needle and thread?”
    Mother reluctantly gave these implements to him. He marched off, sat on the edge of his sofa in the middle of his bedroom, and got ready to work… He laid his scissors, the spool of thread, and his waistcoat down on the sofa beside him, wet his fingers, held the needle high up and well out in front and began poking the thread at the eye.

Would you be kind enough to tell me why there is written “Where is your needle and thread?” instead of “Where are your needle and thread?”
    Here ‘where’ is used as pronoun meaning: what place? It is singular and the subject of the sentence, so the singular verb ‘is’ is used.

Would you be also kind enough to share with me your opinion concerning the mentioned collocations of “poke” bellow?

He gives me a poke. OK
    He kept poking at me. (to poke at = to jab = to thrust obtrusively)
    He pokes me in the ribs.OK
    Don’t poke yours head out of the window. (to poke = to extend) OK
    Poke your nose out (of the window) and see if it's still raining.OK…
    The animal was in the hole because it left its tail poking out.OK
    I have to poke a hole through the wall. (to poke = to produce by piercing) OK
    She poked her head through the window.OK
    They poked fun at Willie's haircut(poke fun at =make fun of, mock, ridicule)OK
    Stop poking in where you're not wanted!Ok
    The room is cold, poke the fire up a little. (poke the fire up = stir up the fire)
    He poked himself up in a dull town. (poke up in a dull town = blunder away in a dull town)Ok
    He poked the stick in the hole, but no animal cameout.OK
    He poked at the meat with his fork,but it seemed undercooked.I think 'at' in unnecessary.
    A man must have poked into Latin and Greek(to poke = to search; to feel one's way, as in the dark; to grope; as, to poke about)OK
    The detective poked around in the missing man’s office. (poke around = to search about; look into and under things.)OK
    He didn't feel well, and poked around the house.
    That policeman had no business poking about in our garage without a court order. What was he poking around for?Ok
    The tops of his shoes had worn so thin that his toes were poking through.…Ok

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    All are fine with poke.