• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default walking papers/flower arrangement/potted plants/rain-water/tap water/top up

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Brian Epstein, manager of The Beatles, handed drummer Pete Best his walking papers.
    walking papers = a notice of discharge or dismissal

If they are fresh cut flowers, they are not expensive, but flower arrangement is rather expensive.
    flower arrangement = ikebana = the Japanese art of formal flower arrangement with special regard shown to balance, harmony, and form

On the glass-topped bureau stood two potted plants.
    potted plants = houseplants

Rain-water is preferable to tap water since it doesn’t contain chemicals.
    rain-water = water that has fallen as rain and contains little dissolved mineral matter
    tap water = water drawn directly from a tap or faucet

The most important thing is that flowers should stand for about an hour in water in a cool place before being arranged. Use clean vases, strip stems of their leaves below water level, and keep the water topped up every single day.
    top up = fill up, pour some more, add

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: walking papers/flower arrangement/potted plants/rain-water/tap water/top up

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Brian Epstein, manager of The Beatles, handed drummer Pete Best his walking papers.
    walking papers = a notice of discharge or dismissal

If they are fresh cut flowers, they are not expensive, but flower arrangement is rather expensive.
    flower arrangement = ikebana = the Japanese art of formal flower arrangement with special regard shown to balance, harmony, and form Need not be Ikebana. Any arrangement of cut flowers is a flower arrangement. It is expensive because more plant material is used and it can take a long time to do.

On the glass-topped bureau stood two potted plants.
    potted plants = houseplants

Rain-water is preferable to tap water since it doesn’t contain chemicals.
    rain-water = water that has fallen as rain and contains little dissolved mineral matter
    tap water = water drawn directly from a tap or faucet

Not true - it is better to use tap water as the chemicals act against bacteria and prevent the stems decaying.

The most important thing is that flowers should stand for about an hour in water in a cool place before being arranged. Use clean vases, strip stems of their leaves below water level, and keep the water topped up every single day.
    top up = fill up, pour some more, add

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.