Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Tenses

  1. #1
    Ju is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Tenses

    1) I (have seen / had seen) this film before

    The model answer is have seen.
    Why can't we use had seen?

    2) I you don't come tomorrow, I (shall go / will go) alone.

    The model answer is shall go.
    Why can't we use will go?

    3) I gound the book that I (hid / had hidden) in a box.

    The model answer is had hidden.
    Why can't we use hid?


    Tks / ju

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,736
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    1) I (have seen / had seen) this film before

    The model answer is have seen.
    Why can't we use had seen?

    Without a context, both versions is right. But on a test you would choose the less marked form, the more common, the one which needs the least extra context to make it acceptable - the present perfect.

    2) I you don't come tomorrow, I (shall go / will go) alone.

    The model answer is shall go.
    Why can't we use will go?
    You can in real life. On an exam, you'd select the form that was more traditionally correct.

    3) I gound the book that I (hid / had hidden) in a box.
    found?
    The model answer is had hidden.
    Why can't we use hid?
    Because this question is testing your knowledge of the past perfect tense.
    Something had happened in the past previous to something that happened more recently in the past.

    Tks / ju
    You can't take any of these questions at face value. If you are given a question where more than one answer is possible, you have to ask yourself: What are they trying to test here? Why do they want this answer and not that answer?

  3. #3
    Ju is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You can't take any of these questions at face value. If you are given a question where more than one answer is possible, you have to ask yourself: What are they trying to test here? Why do they want this answer and not that answer?
    Thank you, Raymott.

    You mentioned :

    "You can't take any of these questions at face value."

    "Without a context, both versions is right. But on a test you would choose the less marked form, the more common, the one which needs the least extra context to make it acceptable - the present perfect."

    What does it mean of "less marked form" & "at face value"?

    Tks / ju

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,736
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    Thank you, Raymott.

    You mentioned :

    "You can't take any of these questions at face value."

    "Without a context, both versions is right. But on a test you would choose the less marked form, the more common, the one which needs the least extra context to make it acceptable - the present perfect."

    What does it mean of "less marked form" & "at face value"?
    A marked form basically means the less usual form, the one that sounds strangest. (It's really a technical linguistic definition that you don't have to worry about - that's why I added some extra phrases).
    "At face value" means "as it appears on a first look", "without thinking about it too much".
    Tks / ju
    R.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Verb Tenses
    By dario1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2008, 21:48
  2. use of the tenses
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Apr-2008, 16:17
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Apr-2008, 17:55
  4. Correct tenses?
    By Skyscraper83 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2007, 18:04
  5. Sequence of tenses (#2)
    By gorikaz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2007, 03:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •