• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

run into each other/out o order/out of service/slammed the door/banged the door/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

I looked at the indicator above his head and the floors were racing by so fast that the numbers ran into each other.
    run into each other = run together

The lift didn’t come when Freda pressed the button. She tried the other one next to it. No response. That means someone had propped the doors open, for they closed automatically. “The lifts are out of order.”
    “The engineers are working on them in the basement.” Biggs said. “Didn’t you see the notice?”
    He pointed, and Freda saw that a notice clear enough for anyone to see hung by the lifts: “From 6 p.m. these lifts will be out of service.”
    out of order = not functioning well, not operating properly or at all, unsuitable, inappropriate
    out of service = withdrawn from active service

He slammed the door shut again and they drove the Cadillac back down the hill.
    slam the door = to shut with force and loud noise = bang the door = close the door with a slam

The door rammed open under McGuire’s bulk.
    ram = to strike or drive against with a heavy impact; butt: rammed the door with a sledgehammer until it broke open.

I ran back to the house and banged the door.
    bang = to beat or thump, or to cause (something) to hit or strike against another object, in such a way as to make a loud noise; as, to bang a drum or a piano; to bang a door (against the doorpost or casing) in shutting it.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: run into each other/out o order/out of service/slammed the door/banged the door/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

I looked at the indicator above his head and the floors were racing by so fast that the numbers ran into each other.
    run into each other = run together

The lift didn’t come when Freda pressed the button. She tried the other one next to it. No response. That means someone had propped the doors open, for they closed automatically. “The lifts are out of order.”
    “The engineers are working on them in the basement.” Biggs said. “Didn’t you see the notice?”
    He pointed, and Freda saw that a notice clear enough for anyone to see hung by the lifts: “From 6 p.m. these lifts will be out of service.”
    out of order = not functioning well, not operating properly or at all, unsuitable, inappropriate
    out of service = withdrawn from active service

He slammed the door shut again and they drove the Cadillac back down the hill.
    slam the door = to shut with force and loud noise = bang the door = close the door with a slam

The door rammed open under McGuire’s bulk.
    ram = to strike or drive against with a heavy impact; butt: rammed the door with a sledgehammer until it broke open.

I ran back to the house and banged the door.
    bang = to beat or thump, or to cause (something) to hit or strike against another object, in such a way as to make a loud noise; as, to bang a drum or a piano; to bang a door (against the doorpost or casing) in shutting it.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    I have my douts about ran into each other, which according to me means: head on collusion as: Two trains ran into each other due to delayed schedule. Rest are fine