• Post Thanks / Like

teaching english to various levels, various non-native speakers in a group in u.s.

i volunteer at a local library teaching english to foreign workers who come here during tourist season to work. currently, i have turkish, russian, slovakian, & peruvian students (1 of each) with various educational background (mostly university in their own countries) and widely differing experience and proficiency in english. two questions: (1): is there a certification program geared to this sort of mix? (2): what's a good approach?

I have tried to work with them individually, basing my instruction on their individual work situations and english proficiencies, but most seem more comfortable in a classroom setting. any ideas?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: teaching english to various levels, various non-native speakers in a group in u.s

Quote Originally Posted by agingactor View Post
    i volunteer at a local library teaching english to foreign workers who come here during tourist season to work. currently, i have turkish, russian, slovakian, & peruvian students (1 of each) with various educational background (mostly university in their own countries) and widely differing experience and proficiency in english. two questions: (1): is there a certification program geared to this sort of mix? (2): what's a good approach?

I have tried to work with them individually, basing my instruction on their individual work situations and english proficiencies, but most seem more comfortable in a classroom setting. any ideas?
    Most good TEFL Certificate courses will cover this kiind of scenario (i.e. mixed ability, multilingual classes). The multilingual aspect is not a difficult issue at all since you are teaching English and therefore the medium of communication in the classroom should be English.

However, the mixed ability of the class is more problematic. Do you split them into equal groups or apply peer teaching?

Personally I prefer to concentrate on the majority with tweaks to activities for the stronger and weaker students.

This article explains a lot more about this and teaching mixed ability groups.