Thread: at base

Post Thanks / Like

at base

Does anyone know what 'at base' mean in the following (I did not find 'at base' in any of my dictionaries)?:

'It is erroneous to suggest that, at base, the concept of present is wholly derived from external sensorimotor experience.'

Thank you very much.

Palinkasocsi

pyoung is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: at base

Quote Originally Posted by palinkasocsi View Post
    Does anyone know what 'at base' mean in the following (I did not find 'at base' in any of my dictionaries)?:

'It is erroneous to suggest that, at base, the concept of present is wholly derived from external sensorimotor experience.'

Thank you very much.

Palinkasocsi
    Dear Palinkasocsi:

Unless 'at base' is being used in a special way common to those who study this subject, it means 'at its roots'; 'basically'; 'fundamentally.'
    A question: in the original, does it say, 'the concept of present' or 'the concept of the present' ?

I hope this is helpful,

Petra

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Petra,

In this context 'present' means 'the here and now', the way we perceive or conceptualize the world momentarily.

Hm. It is still a bit odd to understand 'at base' as meaning 'fundamentally' in this context. I was thinking the same, that's why I asked.

No technical sense of 'at base' is intended by the author, I'm sure.

Look:

To assume this, we have to assume that perceptual processes at the cognitive level
    play no part in the development of concepts, but only external sensorimotor information.
    As I have been arguing throughout this book, I believe this assumption to be false. While
    the elaborated concept of the present is structured in terms of such content, it is erroneous
    to suggest that, at base, the concept of present is wholly derived from external sensorimotor

experience.

Thank you very much for your help.

Palinkasocsi

pyoung is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by palinkasocsi View Post
    Dear Petra,

In this context 'present' means 'the here and now', the way we perceive or conceptualize the world momentarily.

Hm. It is still a bit odd to understand 'at base' as meaning 'fundamentally' in this context. I was thinking the same, that's why I asked.

No technical sense of 'at base' is intended by the author, I'm sure.

Look:

To assume this, we have to assume that perceptual processes at the cognitive level
    play no part in the development of concepts, but only external sensorimotor information.
    As I have been arguing throughout this book, I believe this assumption to be false. While
    the elaborated concept of the present is structured in terms of such content, it is erroneous
    to suggest that, at base, the concept of present is wholly derived from external sensorimotor

experience.

Thank you very much for your help.

Palinkasocsi
    Dear Palinkasocsi:

'Fundamentally' is probably the least appropriate of the words I suggested. In the excerpt you posted, the author gives a clue to what s/he means by contrasting the 'elaborated concept' with the concept 'at base.' I think this means 'the concept at its most basic, the 'unelaborated concept,' the 'raw concept,' if you will.
    I still find it interesting that the author says 'the elaborated concept of the present,' but '...at base, the concept of ( ) present.'

Best wishes,

Petra

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Petra. Now it's clear.

Take care,

Palinkasocsi