Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Glottal Stop

  1. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Post Glottal Stop

    Hi,

    What is referred as a Glottal Stop? Which English Accent has glottal stops and what is their relevance?

    Thanks

  2. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 4,918
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Glottal Stop

    It's when you stop and then "explode" air from the opening between your tongue and throat, creating a staccato sound like an mp3 skipping.

    Many British accents use it in place of a [t].

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,658
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Glottal Stop

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Hi,

    What is referred as a Glottal Stop? Which English Accent has glottal stops and what is their relevance?

    Thanks
    If you know how Uh-oh! is said in English, the first 'h' is a glottal stop.
    It's the most 'back' stop. The English unvoiced stops are are /p, t, k, ʔ/

    Actually konungursvia is probably describing a pharyngeal stop, which doesn't occur in English (but I think it does in Arabic, or maybe that's the uvular stop in the diagram below).
    A glottal stop is formed by closing your glottis (voicebox) - it doesn't involve the tongue or pharyngeal wall. If you start a word with a glottal stop, it sounds like a cough, depending on the amount of aspiration you use.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stops.gif 
Views:	4 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	723
    Last edited by Raymott; 21-Aug-2009 at 16:23.

  4. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 4,918
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Glottal Stop

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    If you know how Uh-oh! is said in English, the first 'h' is a glottal stop.
    It's the most 'back' stop. The English unvoiced stops are are /p, t, k, ʔ/

    Actually konungursvia is probably describing a pharyngeal stop, which doesn't occur in English (but I think it does in Arabic, or maybe that's the uvular stop in the diagram below).
    A glottal stop is formed by closing your glottis (voicebox) - it doesn't involve the tongue or pharyngeal wall. If you start a word with a glottal stop, it sounds like a cough, depending on the amount of aspiration you use.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stops.gif 
Views:	4 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	723
    Yes, that's right. I shouldn't have said it was the tongue.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 45,262
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Glottal Stop

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Many British accents use it in place of a [t].
    Increasingly

Similar Threads

  1. stop using internet
    By atlaisha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2008, 05:23
  2. What does this sentense mean?
    By mcad_mcsd in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Jan-2008, 20:02
  3. stop
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2007, 14:06
  4. Stop vs Stop from
    By Kykex in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Sep-2006, 10:08
  5. Complementary Distribution and glottal stop
    By elina_p79 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2006, 07:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •