Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Challenging

Hi,
    The most challenging is to teach pupils who have no interest in learning English. They think English is not important to them. They think they are able to communicate with others with their mother tongue and dialects, without having to use English ,their messages get across as they wish. So, why English?

clergyman is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

the most challenging aspect of teaching for me has been finding a way to be quite an efficient teacher who is at the same a helper not a strict hateful one

I'm teaching in elementary level of english, after two years, I changed the way I teach, and instead of being very easygoing, I get more serious than ever, the result was that, my students' skill and knowledge of english has got alot better, but I almsot lost those uninterested studens.

Post Thanks / Like

If my pupils have the self motivation to revise what I had taught them, I think they'll improve tremendously . But frustratedly, they never do. Thus , to change their attitude is the most challenging

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meylenlau View Post
    If my pupils have the self motivation to revise what I had taught them, I think they'll improve tremendously . But frustratedly, they never do. Thus , to change their attitude is the most challenging
    I think this is the very point! This is the most important aspect for teachers of any subject !! And you have to be aware, that once you have achieved this goal your they will not need you anymore. I would say:
    "If my pupils have the self motivation to revise what I have taught them, I think they'll realized they do not need a teacher."

This is quite general, not just about teaching English.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

It's not too general at all, for their first language, they use it not only spontaneously in their speaking in daily communication, but also possess the interest to read more , for instance newspapers, magazines and storybooks in their first language without having to push them at all.

Nevertheless, while learning English as their second language, the attitude is different,they are not only no motivation to revise ,but also no interest to read any reading material which is in English. Therefore the ESL teacher struggles to elicit their interest by planning various activities for them.

So, I always tell them , "You are unfair to your English teacher, very bad."

nedira is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria
    Post Thanks / Like

what I find challenging in teaching is being motivated, ( teacher' s motivation not learners' motivation) becouse without being interested in what you are presenting to your students, your lesson will fail.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nedira View Post
    what I find challenging in teaching is being motivated, ( teacher' s motivation not learners' motivation) becouse without being interested in what you are presenting to your students, your lesson will fail.
    What about using your own English learning goal as a teaching motivation? Pay particular attention to all your English students doubts. Make their doubts yours. And search for answers. Share some of them with us here at UsingEnglish.
    That is exactly what I do as an ESL teacher.

nedira is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    What about using your own English learning goal as a teaching motivation? Pay particular attention to all your English students doubts. Make their doubts yours. And search for answers. Share some of them with us here at UsingEnglish.
    That is exactly what I do as an ESL teacher.
    My problem is that I like English more than teaching it.Most of the times I find myself uninterested in what I am teaching which really upsets me and makes me unsatisfied about what I am doing.sometimes, I think that this lack of motivation will disappear as soon as I get accoustomed to the teaching process becouse I am a new teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nedira View Post
    My problem is that I like English more than teaching it.Most of the times I find myself uninterested in what I am teaching which really upsets me and makes me unsatisfied about what I am doing.sometimes, I think that this lack of motivation will disappear as soon as I get accoustomed to the teaching process becouse I am a new teacher.
    I understand exactly what you say. I am a new teacher as well. Try to teach more at intermediate/advanced level. Use your classes to practise your own English. I think the initial/beginning classes are more difficult to teach in the sense that one needs to be a real teacher in order to achieve his goals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2