• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

dismiss, discharge. fire, sack

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the difference between the meanings of the following terms “dismiss”, “discharge”, “fire” and “sack”?

I dismissed a servant for being dishonest.
    My Finn informed me that Gatsby had dismissed every servant in his house a week ago.
    It was a cruel thing of him to discharge the old man just now.
    The man accused of robery was found not guilty and discharged.
    I fired my servant.
    All of a sudden, without any notice he fired the young girl and gave her no explanation at all.
    He was given the sack for stealing.
    He got the sack for laziness.
    The Efficient Zombie had a junior sacked once for exactly the same offense as Ray’s, and he’d ended up as a laborer.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: dismiss, discharge. fire, sack

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the difference between the meanings of the following terms “dismiss”, “discharge”, “fire” and “sack”?

I dismissed a servant for being dishonest.
    My Finn informed me that Gatsby had dismissed every servant in his house a week ago.
    It was a cruel thing of him to discharge the old man just now.
    The man accused of robery was found not guilty and discharged.
    I fired my servant.
    All of a sudden, without any notice he fired the young girl and gave her no explanation at all.
    He was given the sack for stealing.
    He got the sack for laziness.
    The Efficient Zombie had a junior sacked once for exactly the same offense as Ray’s, and he’d ended up as a laborer.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    dismiss - tell someone to leave a job - fire - tell students or workers it's okay to leave now - Class dismissed. We were dismissed early in the afternoon from work because of this horrible snowstorm.

discharge - administrative word for allowing, or telling, patients to leave a hospital or, perhaps, other care facility

fire - tell someone to leave a job, typically because one's work is not satisfactory - The verb "terminate" is often used for administrative purposes. Jack was terminated. He's looking for another job.

sack - This means the same thing as "fire". It's British English, or part of English used outside of the US.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: dismiss, discharge. fire, sack

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    dismiss - tell someone to leave a job - fire - tell students or workers it's okay to leave now - Class dismissed. We were dismissed early in the afternoon from work because of this horrible snowstorm.

discharge - administrative word for allowing, or telling, patients to leave a hospital or, perhaps, other care facility But in the UK you can also discharge a person from a job or a professional position.

fire - tell someone to leave a job, typically because one's work is not satisfactory - The verb "terminate" is often used for administrative purposes. Jack was terminated. He's looking for another job.

sack - This means the same thing as "fire". It's British English, or part of English used outside of the US.