• Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

formula one comments

Dear teachers and friends....

Would it be possible to identify by the writing which English (AmE or BrE) is used in this text?

If so, could you underline the part that indicates it?

Lewis Hamilton must be praying for an error or that Rubens Barrichello over-cooks his tyres or something as the race enters the business stages, with the Brazilian's lead still over six seconds from the world champion. Jenson Button, meanwhile, is far and away the fastest man out on the track right now, and how valuable would another place or two prove with Red Bull looking unlikely to get anything out of this race? Mark Webber is still ninth, 4.7 seconds off BMW's Robert Kubica, who is lapping marginally faster than the Australian right now.

Is Lewis Hamilton starting to make a move? He takes 0.296 out of Rubens Barrichello's lead with an excellent lap - he'll need to maintain that from here on in, though, with the gap just under 6.5 seconds. Jenson Button, meanwhile, sets the fastest lap of the race so far with a 1:38.874 and the super-softs look custom-made for him right now - he has seven seconds to make up on Renault's Fernando Alonso in sixth.

Thank you very much.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: formula one comments

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Dear teachers and friends....

Would it be possible to identify by the writing which English (AmE or BrE) is used in this text?

If so, could you underline the part that indicates it?

Lewis Hamilton must be praying for an error or that Rubens Barrichello over-cooks his tyres or something as the race enters the business stages, with the Brazilian's lead still over six seconds from the world champion. Jenson Button, meanwhile, is far and away the fastest man out on the track right now, and how valuable would another place or two prove with Red Bull looking unlikely to get anything out of this race? Mark Webber is still ninth, 4.7 seconds off BMW's Robert Kubica, who is lapping marginally faster than the Australian right now.
    Is Lewis Hamilton starting to make a move? He takes 0.296 out of Rubens Barrichello's lead with an excellent lap - he'll need to maintain that from here on in, though, with the gap just under 6.5 seconds. Jenson Button, meanwhile, sets the fastest lap of the race so far with a 1:38.874 and the super-softs look custom-made for him right now - he has seven seconds to make up on Renault's Fernando Alonso in sixth.

Thank you very much.
    First, I'd like to express my annoyance that people would assume that anything written in English derives either from North America or Britain. It seems to be becoming a fetish here.

To the point:
    tyres (BrE); Tires (AmE)
    I can't see anything especially American about it, so I'll go with British, if those are the only options. Am I close?

Offroad is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    First, I'd like to express my annoyance that people would assume that anything written in English derives either from North America or Britain. It seems to be becoming a fetish here.
    You're right. As an Australian you must probably feel a bit insulted that people usually don't mention AusE, or anyone from any other part of the globe who lives in an English speaking country (like Canada and others) . I should have given more options. I honestly thought about including more options, but then I also thought I could be kinda asking for too much.

However, my dear Ray, I guess there's no other special way to especify which English is being used but for the spelling, unless, of course, the text contains some particular idiom, saying etc.

To the point:
    tyres (BrE); Tires (AmE)
    Yes, I knew that could make things easier. But I had no choice. The text was writ by a BBC reporter, so I am guessing this is BrE.

but I wanted to know if parts like these (boldfaced red) could identify it (BrE or AmE) easily. I guess not. What'd you say?

I can't see anything especially American about it, so I'll go with British, if those are the only options. Am I close?
    Thank you for your kindness.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Originally Posted by Raymott
    You're right. As an Australian you must probably feel a bit insulted that people usually don't mention AusE, or anyone from any other part of the globe who lives in an English speaking country (like Canada and others) .

Never mind. Ask whatever question you need to know. I'll try to keep my annoyance level under control.

However, my dear Ray, I guess there's no other special way to especify which English is being used but for the spelling, unless, of course, the text contains some particular idiom, saying etc.

To the point:
    tyres (BrE); Tires (AmE)
    Yes, I knew that could make things easier. But I had no choice. The text was written by a BBC reporter, so I am guessing this is BrE.
    Yes, it would have been a tougher challenge without this. However, perhaps this will convince some people that English is, at the end of the day, English.

but I wanted to know if parts like these (boldfaced red) could identify it (BrE or AmE) easily. I guess not. What'd you say?

No, but I did think that the bits in green sounded more British than American. I'm not claiming that Americans don't say these phrases; but I have read American sports reporting, and there is an absence of Americanisms here that is best explained by it not being American.

Quote:

Perhaps an American could explain why this is obviously British (neglecting the 'tyres' and the now known fact that it's from the BBC)?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

very much appreciated!!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps an American could explain why this is obviously British (neglecting the 'tyres' and the now known fact that it's from the BBC)?
    It would be nice!

misiania is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

To the point:
    tyres (BrE); Tires (AmE)
    Well said Raymott. It becoming a fetish. I think I even know why. We are being brain washed that's why. Personally I don't give monkey's about derriviations but in my country, in schools, offices, colleges etc. they tell you that real English is BrE. And if you speak with any other accent you are being told that 'you have watched too many American films'. Unfortunately, silly people are obsessed with it.
    Last edited by misiania; 24-Aug-2009 at 01:24.