cruztours is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default which coursebooks ??

Hi
    I am about to start providing english classes to students who are workers in the museums in my Spanish town. There are 2 groups, beginners and upper intermediate. Can anyone recommend a coursebook to use, there are so many general ones out there it's hard to choose online without seeing the full contents. Ideally a book related to tourism would be great. Thanks

onati200 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: which coursebooks ??

Quote Originally Posted by cruztours View Post
    Hi
    I am about to start providing english classes to students who are workers in the museums in my Spanish town. There are 2 groups, beginners and upper intermediate. Can anyone recommend a coursebook to use, there are so many general ones out there it's hard to choose online without seeing the full contents. Ideally a book related to tourism would be great. Thanks
    Hi

I'm not sure if anyonw has replied to you yet. I don't know about specific books related to tourism, but for beginners I really like English File Elementary/pre-int. In fact the whole series is good. There is a special edition for the Iberian peninsula (I teach in the Basque country). They are effective because there is a good balance of pronunciation, reading, listening. I know that all the teachers in the school I teach love this series. For Upp Intermediate you could try the New Cutting Edge series too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: which coursebooks ??

The one that I have used the most is Market Leader, by David Falvey, David Cotton and Simon Kent (Market Leader). I've been using it for seven years and I've never really been disappointed. They've just come out with a new edition of the elementary book and I really like it.

Obviously, there is no real "silver bullet" as far as teaching materials; it depends on your student, her level, her mood that day, etc. But I like Market Leader because it does a great job of tackling specific areas of grammar, syntax, pronunciation (there is a fantastic workbook that comes along with the coursebook), etc. They also have a site where you can get supplementary materials.

Please feel free to get back to me with other questions.