Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Complete / true

• Post Thanks / Like

Complete / true / full

Hello!
    Can you explain me, please, the difference between adjectives true, complete and full? Can I say a complete newcomer, a full newcomer and a true newcomer ? And what about a complete foreigner, a full foreigner and a true foreigner ? Is there any difference between these three word-combinations?

Could you please grade these word-combinations in accordance with a 4-grade scale, where 4 stands for the most correct phrase and 1 for the most incorrect? E.g.: true newcomer - 1, true foreigner - 4, full newcomer/foreigner - 1

Thanks in advance to everyone who will try to help me
    Last edited by Doughnut; 14-Feb-2005 at 12:29.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Complete / true / full

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut
    Hello!
    Can you explain me, please, the difference between adjectives true, complete and full? Can I say a complete newcomer, a full newcomer and a true newcomer ? And what about a complete foreigner I]a full foreigner[/I] and a true foreigner ? Is there any difference between these three word-combinations?

Could you please grade these word-combinations in accordance with a 4-grade scale, where 4 stands for the most correct phrase and 1 for the most incorrect? E.g.: true newcomer - 1, true foreigner - 4, full newcomer/foreigner - 1

Thanks in advance to everyone who will try to help me
    Work with the context. Do not get hung up on a specific word. Check your dictionary - foreigner versus newcomer. How does full/true/complete relate to the person?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    How does full/true/complete relate to the person?
    What do you mean by how do these adjectives relate to the person? As far as I understand they relate straightly

• Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by how do these adjectives relate to the person? As far as I understand they relate straightly
    Try "full" for example. You fill something. It is full. How can a person/a foreigner be full? Full of what? Do I make sense?

FYI -
    No thank you, I am full - I do not care for additional food. I have had enough.
    He is full of it. AE - He braggs, exaggerates.

• Post Thanks / Like

Try "full" for example. You fill something. It is full. How can a person/a foreigner be full? Full of what?
    For the first sight you're quite right. But what can I see in the dictionary:

full - complete especially in detail, number, or duration.

So then a full stranger can mean a complete stranger, a person who is strange in all details - features.

Am I mistaken? You know, I'm not a native speaker, so, of course, I can be mistaken and that's why I'm trying to understand!!! Dictionaries are not a big help...

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Complete / true

Dictionaries can be a very big help if used properly. If you can't find the adjectives the word 'stranger' collocates with you should buy some dictionary of collocations. For example, I'd advise you to buy "Oxford: Collocations - dictionary for students of English". Say you need to find out what adjectives you can use with the word 'stranger'. On opening such a dictionary you find out that you can say: a complete (perfect, total) stranger. That's quite easy, I quess.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Complete / true

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    On opening such a dictionary you find out that you can say: a complete (perfect, total) stranger. That's quite easy, I quess.
    It's undoubtedly easy!!! But I'd like to know the difference!!!

• Post Thanks / Like

For the first sight you're quite right. But what can I see in the dictionary:

full - complete especially in detail, number, or duration.

So then a full stranger can mean a complete stranger, a person who is strange in all details - features.

Am I mistaken? You know, I'm not a native speaker, so, of course, I can be mistaken and that's why I'm trying to understand!!! Dictionaries are not a big help...
    Make it easy for you - can you fill a stranger? I do not think so. It is a complete stranger. The whole entity is an unknown.

• Post Thanks / Like

Make it easy for you - can you fill a stranger? I do not think so. It is a complete stranger. The whole entity is an unknown.
    OK! Let's regard this point to be over! Then you should explain me everything concerning the difference between true and complete
    What is the difference between a true foreigner and a complete foreigner? I'm looking forward to your answer!!!

• Post Thanks / Like

OK! Let's regard this point to be over! Then you should explain me everything concerning the difference between true and complete
    What is the difference between a true foreigner and a complete foreigner? I'm looking forward to your answer!!!
    Meow! Next round.

Foreigner - an outsider be it country or group. How do you know he is complete if he is not part of your group? He has to be a true foreigner as you know nothing about him. You stranger on the other hand - everything is strange about him, isn't it. Does that make him a total stranger?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast