Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: prepositions

  1. mamen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 282
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Post prepositions

    According to my friends we have no rules when it comes to prepositions.
    Is this true?

    Please give me a hint on the usage of in and on.

    thank you!


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: prepositions

    Quote Originally Posted by mamen View Post
    According to my friends we have no rules when it comes to prepositions.
    Is this true?

    Please give me a hint on the usage of in and on.

    thank you!
    Prepositions have meaning, and more often than people might realize, there is a way to explain prepositions. Sometimes there may not be an explanation, but, as I said, there oftentimes is a way to explain preposition usage. It's not random. There's reason and logic behind the way we use prepositions. I disagree with your friends.

    Take a look here. I've posted a few interesting things on the topic of prepositions: http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/te...explained.html


    He's in the conference room. - We use "in" for enclosed areas or areas with boundaries. A conference room is an enclosed area.

    I like living in this city. - A city has boundaries.

    Just leave the reports on my desk. Thank you. - We use "on" for surfaces. A desk is a surface.

    There are other ways to use "in" and "on", but these examples, as I believe I recall, represent the "prototypical" uses of "in" and "on", or the primary way in which we use "in" and the primary way in which we use "on".

  2. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,815
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: prepositions

    When it comes to preposition, I, personally, just go with the flow.

    As Proesl states, there must be a rule or explanation behind the usage. But the problem is: the rule may change from a country to another.

    He walks on the streets.
    He walks in the streets.


    Which one would I choose?

    Mmm...maybe 'on'... but for no apparent reason...I just don't give a tiny rat's a*** about this kind of ****.

    And...of course, we must consider that some prepositions just collocates with some verbs, in a way that no other preposition would sound 'idiomatic'.


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Cool Re: prepositions

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    When it comes to preposition, I, personally, just go with the flow.

    As Proesl states, there must be a rule or explanation behind the usage. But the problem is: the rule may change from a country to another.

    He walks on the streets.
    He walks in the streets.

    Which one would I choose?

    Mmm...maybe 'on'... but for no apparent reason...I just don't give a tiny rat's a*** about this kind of ****.
    I would say "he walks the streets", as in, possibly, "he walks the streets aimlessly". Here's the reason: Saying "he walks on the streets" is obvious because a street is a surface. I can't think of a reason to say "he walks in the streets".

    You could however say, "they're dancin' in the streets", in which case "the streets" become an area with boundaries. The streets are now a place to celebrate and a dance floor.

    Do you have speakers?

    Last edited by PROESL; 25-Aug-2009 at 17:46.

  3. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,815
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: prepositions

    Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    I would say "he walks the streets", as in, possibly, "he walks the streets aimlessly". Here's the reason: Saying "he walks on the streets" is obvious because a street is a surface. I can't think of a reason to say "he walks in the streets".

    Hahaha..you touched it with a needle. It does not matter if it's 'in' or 'on', both are correct.

    He walks on the streets (AmE)
    He walks in the streets (BrE)


    If I am not mistaken, I already heard an American say or at least write 'walk in the street'.

    You could however say, "they're dancin' in the streets", in which case "the streets" become an area with boundaries. The streets are now a place to celebrate and a dance floor.

    Do you have speakers?
    what?



    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: prepositions

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Here are a couple examples.

    Don't walk in the street. There's a lot of traffic here, and it's dangerous.

    Don't play in the street! You'll get run over!

    They're walking down the street.

  4. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,815
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: prepositions

    Are you interested in a interesting thread about 'interested' and its interesting prepositions?


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Smile Re: prepositions

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Are you interested in a interesting thread about 'interested' and its interesting prepositions?
    I would be quite sanguine about such a thread.


  5. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,815
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: prepositions

    I searched both Corpora of English:

    IN
    they are interested in social phenomena

    no one in their immediate family was interested in farming

    ON
    I'm not interested on being on the cover for real again
    And I'll be very interested on the Democrat side to see if...

    FROM
    He is interested from the neighborhood side
    Others are very interested from the beginning in the...

    ABOUT
    I'm interested about the skip...
    You're not interested about me

    TO
    I was kind of interested to see how far he would take it
    I'd be interested to coming down to work..

    OF
    she was interested of the idea of Mike...
    greater interested of the game

    AT
    she doesn't seem interested at 6 or 7 months...
    we're interested at putting you on


    What's the difference between them?

    I'm interested to hear about your family
    I'm interested on/in/from/about/(?) hearing about your new job.
    I'm interested from getting started.

  6. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: prepositions

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    I searched both Corpora of English:

    IN
    they are interested in social phenomena

    no one in their immediate family was interested in farming

    ON
    I'm not interested on being on the cover for real again
    And I'll be very interested on the Democrat side to see if... These are wrong.

    FROM
    He is interested from the neighborhood side
    Others are very interested from the beginning in the... These are ok.

    ABOUT
    I'm interested about the skip...
    You're not interested about me These are wrong.

    TO
    I was kind of interested to see how far he would take it
    I'd be interested to coming down to work.. These are wrong.

    OF
    she was interested of the idea of Mike...
    greater interested of the game These are wrong.

    AT
    she doesn't seem interested at 6 or 7 months...
    we're interested at putting you on These are wrong.


    What's the difference between them?

    I'm interested to hear about your family This is ok.
    I'm interested on/in/from/about/(?) hearing about your new job in.
    I'm interested from getting started.in
    Disclaimer: All of the above are BrE.

Similar Threads

  1. English prepositions
    By Marshallbm3cr in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2007, 07:22
  2. How to use all kinds of Prepositions in English language.
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-May-2007, 08:48
  3. American and British prepositions
    By Judy_P in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2006, 12:07
  4. Help needed! Suggestions on primary sources on prepositions!
    By kjelladrian in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-May-2006, 04:50
  5. 7th grade GATE LA prepositions presentation
    By Ravenclaw in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-Jun-2005, 01:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •