Mistakes we make while speaking English............

1. The concerned person is not there

Read literally, this means the worried person is not present. What the speaker actually meant to say is that the person who is involved is not present. The correct way to say this would be:

~ The person concerned is not there.

2. We discussed about the project.

This is a blunder. Discussed is an action verb; therefore, it must be followed by the object. Adding 'about' is unnecessary and improper. So it would be:

~ We discussed the project.

3. Anyways, afterwards we went to the party.

Here, the word anyway has an 's' attached improperly. In US English, afterwards is acceptable, but 'anyways' is NEVER acceptable. The correct way to say this would be:

~ Anyway, afterwards we went to the party.

1. I practice cricket every morning.

2. Practise makes perfect.

Practice is a noun and practise is a verb. This also happens with advise/ advice. Here's the correct version.

~ I practise cricket every morning.

~ Practice makes perfect.

3. There was a tough contest among Australia and South Africa.

4. The prize will be divided between the three groups.

'Between' is used when there are two objects. 'Among' is used when there are more than two objects. Therefore, it should be:

~ There was a tough contest between Australia and South Africa.

~ The prize will be divided among the three groups.

5. I haven't found it nowhere.

6. He didn't do nothing at office!

In both cases, the speaker uses the dreaded 'double-negative'. The second negative in English, unlike most languages, cancels the effect of the first negative. The result is that the speaker is saying the exact opposite of what her or she intends! It should be:

~ I haven't found it anywhere.

~ He didn't do anything at office.

7. The examinations are preponed.

We've received countless e-mails identifying this mistake. Preponed is supposed to be the opposite of postponed, only there's a problem -- preponed isn't in the English dictionary! Instead, use advanced.

~ The examinations are advanced.

8. Have you removed tickets?

This is an exact translation from the Hindi/ Marathi version: 'Ticket nikala kya?'/ 'Ticket kaadhle kaa?' It should be:

~ Have you bought the tickets?

9. You are a doctor, no?

This is another common mistake, probably arising as a result of a direct translation from Hindi. We always add 'na' on to the end of each sentence.! It should be:

~ Aren't you a doctor? OR Are you a doctor?

10. He is very heighted.

There is no such word as 'heighted' in the English language. You could say, 'he has height' but this would be awkward. Instead, try:

~ He is very tall.

4. I went there, only.

Again, this is another common mistake. One hears it so frequently that it doesn't even sound like a mistake! It also arises from literal translations of Hindi. Most of the time, 'only' can be cut from your speech.

~ I went there.