Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    anupumh's Avatar
    anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Introductory Line in a Informal Letter/Email

    Hi,

    While writing an infromal letter or email, which line or statement can be used as a means to ask the well being of the other person before we move to the body of the letter/email and talk about the actual thing?

    Some examples which I have come across...

    Hi John,

    Hope this mail finds you in the best of moods...
    Hope this letter finds you in the pink of health..
    Hope you are doing ok...


    What would be appropriate statements for this scenario...?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Introductory Line in a Informal Letter/Email

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Hi,

    While writing an infromal letter or email, which line or statement can be used as a means to ask the well being of the other person before we move to the body of the letter/email and talk about the actual thing?

    Some examples which I have come across...

    Hi John,

    Hope this mail finds you in the best of moods...
    Hope this letter finds you in the pink of health..
    Hope you are doing ok...


    What would be appropriate statements for this scenario...?

    Thanks
    The first two sound overly formal to me, but may be OK in India.

    To my friends, I tend to write:
    How are you going?
    How have you been (lately)?
    How's things?

  3. #3
    anupumh's Avatar
    anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Introductory Line in a Informal Letter/Email

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    The first two sound overly formal to me, but may be OK in India.

    To my friends, I tend to write:
    How are you going?
    How have you been (lately)?
    How's things?
    Alright, so had it been a formal or semi formal letter or email, then what would you right?

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Introductory Line in a Informal Letter/Email

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Alright, so had it been a formal or semi formal letter or email, then what would you right?
    For a formal letter, I would not ask about their health at all.
    It's very hard to generalise.
    Perhaps:
    I trust you have been well. (I don't 'hope' it, since I really don't know them well enough to care)
    It's a long time since we've spoken. I'm writing now to ... (This reminds the person that you dealt with them before)
    You will recall that we collaborated on a successful venture together some time back. I now write to ...
    I see you have come up in the world since we last met ... (to an old friend).

    But really, it depends on your personality, and also what you want from the other person. What works for me might not work for you.

Similar Threads

  1. Hurry, Get the line up.
    By flytothesky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-Dec-2008, 05:12
  2. go over the line
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Jun-2008, 12:47
  3. line
    By peter123 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Apr-2008, 02:32
  4. safety line, security line or yellow line?
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2004, 02:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •