• Other
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DOES - a simple explanation required please.

During a conversation with an Indonesian friend, he came up with the sentence, 'How DOES he able to score goals if he's not playing?'.
    He asks me to correct him when he makes any grammatical errors, so I told him that he should have said, 'How IS he able to score goals if he's not playing?'.
    What I couldn't offer him, was a clear explanation as to when we use the word 'does' and when we don't use it.
    It's a very simple word, and reasonably common in our speech, but what are the rules about which sentences it is used in?

2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DOES - a simple explanation required please.

Quote Originally Posted by indonesia View Post
    During a conversation with an Indonesian friend, he came up with the sentence, 'How DOES he able to score goals if he's not playing?'.
    He asks me to correct him when he makes any grammatical errors, so I told him that he should have said, 'How IS he able to score goals if he's not playing?'.
    What I couldn't offer him, was a clear explanation as to when we use the word 'does' and when we don't use it.
    It's a very simple word, and reasonably common in our speech, but what are the rules about which sentences it is used in?
    "able" is an adjective and requires a linking verb, in this case "is". And the adjective is followed by the infinitive "to score".
    "does" is often followed by a bare infinitive, as in 'How does he score so many goals?'
    Last edited by 2006; 28-Aug-2009 at 04:57. Reason: addition

ren shan is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DOES - a simple explanation required please.

"Does" indicates continuing action, as in "He does that very well" or "She always does well on pop quizzes".

"Do" indicates the present, as in "What are you going to do?"

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: DOES - a simple explanation required please.

I think the answer given by 2006 is what you can explained to your friend. Let me try to answer your second question: what are the rules about use of "does"? Does is used with third person sigular he/she/it/Indoesia to form negatives/question in simple present tence. As:

He scores goals when ever he plays.
    He does not score goals when ever he plays.
    Does he score goels when ever he plays?
    Last edited by sarat_106; 28-Aug-2009 at 15:13.