• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default educational system

I have some questions regarding the educational system.

In my country, at elementary level and high school level, at the end of each year, the students learnings are measured based mainly in tests and examinations taken throughout the year and receive a final grade. According to this final grade, three distinct situations may occur:
    i) satisfactory grades -> the student is approved, takes a 2 month vacation, and comes back only next year to continue studies at a higher level.
    ii) regular grades -> the student continues studying for a short period, about 1 month, and then takes a second chance set of tests or examinations, afterwards he takes a 1 month vacation. According to the results he comes back next year to the next level or to the same level (repeats the level).
    iii) unsatisfactory grades -> the student fails (he is repproved), takes a 2 month vacation and comes back next year to repeat the same level of studies.

My question is the following: How can one say in English the parts in red in the above text?

What do you say about the terms below?

"remedial class"
    "take supplementary exams"
    "retake one's exams"
    "retake"
    "retrieval"
    "recuperation"
    "pass the year"
    "to be approved"
    "repeat the year"
    "to be repproved"

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: educational system

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post

In my country, at elementary level and high school level, at the end of each year, the students learnings are measured based mainly in tests and examinations taken throughout the year and receive a final grade. According to this final grade, three distinct situations may occur:
    i) satisfactory grades -> the student is approved, takes a 2 month vacation, and comes back only next year to continue studies at a higher level.
    ii) regular grades -> the student continues studying for a short period, about 1 month, and then takes a second chance set of tests or examinations, afterwards he takes a 1 month vacation. According to the results he comes back next year to the next level or to the same level (repeats the level).
    iii) unsatisfactory grades -> the student fails (he is repproved), takes a 2 month vacation and comes back next year to repeat the same level of studies.

My question is the following: How can one say in English the parts in red in the above text?

"remedial class"
    "retake one's exams"
    "retake"
    "retrieval"
    "recuperation"
    "pass the year"
    "to be approved"
    "repeat the year"
    "to be repproved"
    the student is approved= Successful = declared pass. Example; The exam was so hard that only 50% of the students could pass
    takes a second chance set of tests or examinations= takes a supplementry exam
    the student fails (he is repproved)= the student fails/declared unsuccessful
    repeats the level=repeat the level=retained in the same level/class

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: educational system

Thank you for your important contribution sara_106.

I would like to know how one can express in English that a student has neither failed nor succeed his exams, but that he is in "recuperation" (explained in the first post above).
    And which expression one could use for the above mentioned
    second chance set of tests or examinations ?

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: educational system

Thank you for your important contribution sara_106.

I would like to know how one can express in English that a student has neither failed nor succeed his exams, but that he is in "recuperation" (explained in the first post above).
    And which expression one could use for the above mentioned
    second chance set of tests or examinations ?
    I am still not very clear about recuperation but it occurs to me as to how a student who has failed in one or two subjects can regain a successful position without going through the entire process of regular examination. If this is what you want to know, yes, for those students, here there is a provision of compartmental examination
    As per the examination bylaws which varies from one institution to other intuition conducting the examination, a candidate who has failed in two or three subjects(maxm) is given two or even more chances to clear the failed subjects ( called compartmental subjects). If a candidate fails to appear in the first one, he or she can avail rest of the allowable chances to be held in two sessions annually, in the subsequent next year. The candidate will be declared ‘pass’ only after he/she qualifies the compartmental subjects.

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    I am still not very clear about recuperation but it occurs to me as to how a student who has failed in one or two subjects can regain a successful position without going through the entire process of regular examination. If this is what you want to know, yes, for those students, here there is a provision of compartmental examination
    As per the examination bylaws which varies from one institution to other intuition conducting the examination, a candidate who has failed in two or three subjects(maxm) is given two or even more chances to clear the failed subjects ( called compartmental subjects). If a candidate fails to appear in the first one, he or she can avail rest of the allowable chances to be held in two sessions annually, in the subsequent next year. The candidate will be declared ‘pass’ only after he/she qualifies the compartmental subjects.
    Thanks. Yes, that is what I meant. If I may please, still I have more two questions:
    a) The process you described above is indeed the one I am talking about, however I am mainly concerned with young students, teenagers and children, with ages from about 10 to 16 years old.
    b) I would like also to know how the students themselves colloquially refer to it. How a student would say for example: "Our friend So-and-so failed his math exams, while we'll be on vacation, he'll have to attend compartmental classes in order to take compartmental exams by the end of the month."
    How does one say that in an informal colloquial way?

Post Thanks / Like

"remedial class"
    "retake one's exams"
    "retake"
    "retrieval"
    "recuperation"
    "pass the year"
    "to be approved"
    "repeat the year"
    "to be repproved"
    Here's how I would translate these words to English in the USA.

i) satisfactory grades -> the student is passes, takes a 2 month vacation, and comes back only next year to continue studies at a higher level.

ii) regular grades -> the student continues studying for a short period, about 1 month, and then takes the tests again, afterwards he takes a 1 month vacation. According to the results he comes back next year to the next level or to the same level (repeats the level). (There is no need to translate here - that's what we would say in US English.)

iii) unsatisfactory grades -> the student fails or does not pass, takes a 2 month vacation and comes back next year to repeat the same level of studies.

"remedial class" - provided to help students who are having more difficulty than the other students
    "take supplementary exams" - extra exams taken - for some reason
    "retake one's exams" - We can that, or say "take one's exams again"
    "retake" - take it again

"retrieval"
    "recuperation"
    "pass the year" - I think we would just say, "they passed, so they're moving on to the next grade".
    "to be approved"
    "repeat the year" - That's what we would say in US English, that or "repeat the grade" - Yes, that's what we would say "repeat the grade".
    "to be repproved"

As for the other words, I can only think of what their regular dictionary definitions are. If you can provide a short explanation about how these terms apply to the educational system in Brazil, then I might be able to tell you what terms we would use here in the US in their place.