Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    anupumh's Avatar
    anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Subject and Verb Concord

    Hi,

    One of the rules of Subject and Verb Agreement is...

    When a sentence compounds a positive and a negative subject and only one is plural, the verb should agree with the positive subject.

    Subject Verb Agreement

    Can anybody explain what is a positive subject and what is a negative subject with examples.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Subject and Verb Concord

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Hi,

    One of the rules of Subject and Verb Agreement is...

    When a sentence compounds a positive and a negative subject and only one is plural, the verb should agree with the positive subject.

    Subject Verb Agreement

    Can anybody explain what is a positive subject and what is a negative subject with examples.

    Thanks

    I don't know what this means, and I don't think the author of this statement knows what it means either.

    This is another link on the page that you have linked to in your post. He gives many examples, and I can tell he thoroughly enjoyed making the little diagrams and charts, but he offers no specific example of what you are asking about. I hope someone chimes in if I've overlooked anything here.

    For a more detailed explanation of the rules of subject verb agreement, complete the self-guided verb study unit on the Townson University Web site.

  3. #3
    anupumh's Avatar
    anupumh is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Subject and Verb Concord

    Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    I don't know what this means, and I don't think the author of this statement knows what it means either.

    This is another link on the page that you have linked to in your post. He gives many examples, and I can tell he thoroughly enjoyed making the little diagrams and charts, but he offers no specific example of what you are asking about. I hope someone chimes in if I've overlooked anything here.
    Thanks a bunch...

    What do you mean by "chimes in", how can you use this expression in other contexts?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Subject and Verb Concord

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Thanks a bunch...

    What do you mean by "chimes in", how can you use this expression in other contexts?
    It's primarily a British expression, I think. It's not something I ordinarily say. It means "say something" or in this case "say something else" or add something else".

Similar Threads

  1. Help Finding the subject and verb
    By cliston in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2009, 20:35
  2. subject to
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2008, 13:58
  3. Usage Of "does"
    By crool in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2007, 16:56
  4. verbs
    By eyescold_07 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Aug-2005, 06:32
  5. noun phrases
    By sting in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 21:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •