naphelge is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default does this sentence makes sense?

Hi gang,

I was just wondering if I could get some opinions whether this sentence (quoted below) that I am using in my essay makes sense or not? It makes sense to me, but I wrote it and I would just like to be sure its meaning is clear.

Something Hagar's father would remind her of often during childhood, planting in her seeds of vanity, the fruits of which would elude her for much of her life.
    The protagonist, Hagar, inherited her vanity from her father, however, she spent, or wasted rather, her life being vain and never realized any benefits. She ultimately lived a simple life which she detested.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: does this sentence makes sense?

I think it is a sentence fragment without a subject or a verb. Perhaps it would make more sense if you began this sentence with these two words: "It was...."

naphelge is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a sentence fragment without a subject or a verb. Perhaps it would make more sense if you began this sentence with these two words: "It was...."
    Thanks, but I wasn't really checking my grammar, but rather if the sentence when read makes sense in the context I outlined in my original post.

I will fix the fragment in the interest of getting beyond the grammar issue, and I hope that someone might be able to provide some input on the actual coherence of the sentence.

It is something Hagar's father would remind her of often during childhood, planting in her seeds of vanity, the fruits of which would elude her for much of her life.
    cheers

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naphelge View Post
    Thanks, but I wasn't really checking my grammar, but rather if the sentence when read makes sense in the context I outlined in my original post.

I will fix the fragment in the interest of getting beyond the grammar issue, and I hope that someone might be able to provide some input on the actual coherence of the sentence.

cheers
    I think tigerpaws made a valid point, which I would have made if he hadn't. The grammar is part of what makes a sentence coherent.
    I'd change the beginning to "It was". Otherwise it sounds okay to me.