Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default to arouse / raise / provoke the ire of ...

Hello!

ire noun [U] (formal or literary) anger wrath: to arouse / raise / provoke the ire of local residents (US) to draw the ire of local residents

Do you say "attract the ire of ...," "earn the ire of ...," "invoke the ire of ...," and "incur the ire of ..."?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: to arouse / raise / provoke the ire of ...

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post

Hello!

ire noun [U] (formal or literary) anger wrath: to arouse / raise / provoke the ire of local residents (US) to draw the ire of local residents

Do you say "attract the ire of ...," "earn the ire of ...," "invoke the ire of ...," and "incur the ire of ..."?

Thank you.

I wouldn't. If you're looking for words that go with "ire" - collocations that is - it might be good to check with Longman and Cambridge.

Longman and Cambridge just say, pretty much, the same as the dictionary definition you posted: ire - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online - Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press.

It seems as though "ire" has its limitations, though I wouldn't say this is conclusive. It just kind of seems that way. A collocation dictionary might be useful if you have one. I have the Longman Language Activator, though at a glance, I didn't see anything about "ire" there.

Then again, you could just check Google to see what people write and say: "incur the ire" - Google Search=

Some people don't think Google is useful in this way, but I disagree. Google is useful in this way.