• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 'gain something out of going to school if you make an real education out of it'?

What's in it for you? In the long run, your grades and where you went to school won't matter at all if you don't actually learn what you're supposed to be studying. We were (and are) students just like you, so trust us when we say that you'll only gain something out of going to school if you make an real education out of it.

__________________________________________________ __________

Above is the introduction of policy of a tutorial website.

May I know what is the meaning of 'gain something out of going to school if you make an real education out of it'?

Tks / ju

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 'gain something out of going to school if you make an real education out of it'?

I think it means that you will get the most value from school if you actually put in the time and effort necessary to learn. From the earlier sentences I think it means that one must actually learn and understand the material. Some people attending school just try to figure out how to get a good grade with the least possible effort. When the course is over they sometimes remember very little of the material that was taught.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 'gain something out of going to school if you make an real education out of it'?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerpaws View Post
    I think it means that you will get the most value from school if you actually put in the time and effort necessary to learn. From the earlier sentences I think it means that one must actually learn and understand the material. Some people attending school just try to figure out how to get a good grade with the least possible effort. When the course is over they sometimes remember very little of the material that was taught.
    Actually the message is stronger than that. It says you'll get nothing out of it if you don't actually learn.
    This is obviously not true for some. Having a degree can get you permanent residency in some countries; it can get you a job. Often it's not necessary that you've learnt anything actively.