Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: idioms

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 49
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    idioms

    I have a T shirt and there is a saying on it which is
    Think green..Live pink

    I want to know what's the meaning of this saying??
    Besides I want to know what's the meaning of "think pink"

    Thank you very much


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 422
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by koukouliko View Post
    I have a T shirt and there is a saying on it which is
    Think green..Live pink

    I want to know what's the meaning of this saying??
    Besides I want to know what's the meaning of "think pink"

    Thank you very much
    You've got two different collocations for 'pink', Koukouliko,

    "Live Pink" & "think pink".

    I'll take a stab though and guess that it refers to pink insulation, which is fiberglass insulation.

    Editorial: Of all the insulations available on the planet, it's probably the worst.


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 2
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: idioms

    I looked up that T-shirt slogan on the internet, and I think I can explain it a little more clearly.
    To "think green" means to think about living in an environmentally friendly way (i.e. recycling and reusing things instead of throwing them away, using energy efficient light bulbs, etc.). Environmentalism has recently been making its way into popular culture through clothing like your t-shirt.
    The "live pink" part of your t-shirt slogan is referring to the brand of your shirt. The company Victoria's Secret (an American intimate apparel and sleepwear company) has a junior clothing line called "Pink." So, the "live pink" part of the slogan is advertising Victoria's Secret's junior clothing line Pink.
    "Think pink" is another slogan that you may have seen. This slogan refers to breast cancer awareness. Different colored ribbon symbols are used to show support for raising awareness and supporting research about different medical conditions--the breast cancer ribbon is pink.

    I'm pretty sure your t-shirt slogan has very little to do with fiberglass insulation. I hope that this helps you out.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 49
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by ddinlove View Post
    I looked up that T-shirt slogan on the internet, and I think I can explain it a little more clearly.
    To "think green" means to think about living in an environmentally friendly way (i.e. recycling and reusing things instead of throwing them away, using energy efficient light bulbs, etc.). Environmentalism has recently been making its way into popular culture through clothing like your t-shirt.
    The "live pink" part of your t-shirt slogan is referring to the brand of your shirt. The company Victoria's Secret (an American intimate apparel and sleepwear company) has a junior clothing line called "Pink." So, the "live pink" part of the slogan is advertising Victoria's Secret's junior clothing line Pink.
    "Think pink" is another slogan that you may have seen. This slogan refers to breast cancer awareness. Different colored ribbon symbols are used to show support for raising awareness and supporting research about different medical conditions--the breast cancer ribbon is pink.

    I'm pretty sure your t-shirt slogan has very little to do with fiberglass insulation. I hope that this helps you out.

    A million thanks for your great analysis.but one more question:
    What's the meaning of
    fiberglass insultation

    Thank u in advance




    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: idioms

    fiberglass insulation >> a form of materal made from fiber glass which is used to insulate the roofs and walls of houses.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 120
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: idioms

    To be "In the pink" means to be in a state of good health.

    So, to "live pink" means to live healthily.


    But, beware of the colour pink!

    "In the pink", with its original meaning, is not commonly used in the UK anymore, and phrases that fall out of common usage often resurface with a different meaning and a different connotation.

    Now, "pink" has been claimed by gay (homosexual) people; and "pink" is often used to describe a part of the female anatomy in the porn industry.

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: idioms

    I have seen no indication that "Live Pink" means "live healthily", but I did find the website about breast cancer awareness.

    Live Pink Tees: Live Pink T-shirts Tee Shirts - Breast Cancer Awareness - T-Shirts - Live Pink Clothing


    Victoria's Secret Tees: Victoria's Secret - Tees & Tanks



  2. digitS''s Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 32
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: idioms

    "Live Green, Think Pink" probably doesn't have anything to do with home insulation unless the t-shirt has the Pink Panther cartoon character on it.

    Owens Corning makes pink insulation and use the Pink Panther in their advertisements. They have a trademark on the use of that color for fiberglass insulation. "Pink is Green" is their registered trademark, as well.

    Owens Corning says that insulation saves energy, which conserves natural resources, so insulation is environmentally-friendly or, "green."

    Advertising slogans are often quirky, irrational, self-contradicting, or even false:

    Reach out and touch someone. (on a telephone)
    It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken.
    With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good.
    Guinness is good for you.

    Steve

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 120
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by digitS' View Post
    Advertising slogans are often quirky, irrational, self-contradicting, or even false: ...
    Yes, and the best of them convey a second meaning beyond its face value.


    Cock Soup, Pee Cola and Spunk Candy (tastes salty, apparently) are genuine product names, yet the people from where these products originate don't even realise why native English speakers (particularly those in the UK) might find them hilariously funny.

    I suspect it is the same for the advertising slogan "Think green, Live pink" they see the visual slogan but are unable to read the meaning.

    You can bet your bottom dollar that a design team was probably paid a small fortune to come up with that: something that serves as a logo/slogan, but that which also conveys a second (more subtle) meaning.


    FCUK - the UK arm of the French Connection clothing company sold quite a lot of t-shirts with those four letters used, in that order, as a logo.

    Without resorting to a web search, can any non native English speakers explain why that design is a work of genius
    Last edited by magimagicE; 04-Mar-2010 at 23:05.

Similar Threads

  1. [Idiom] How English compose their Idioms?
    By Nymblack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2009, 11:45
  2. [Idiom] Idiom Test
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2009, 03:29
  3. [Idiom] Dificult idioms
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2009, 16:14
  4. [Idiom] Difficult Test
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2009, 19:07
  5. Colourful idioms
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Jun-2007, 20:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •