• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

• Post Thanks / Like

Teachers' Accents

I was just wondering what all of the teacher's accents were? Have you ever encountered any problems as a result of your accent, or know any teacher that has? And how do you change the way you speak in front of students (if you do of course)? Are there any accents that schools tend to avoid when hiring, or is it just a case of how strong your accent is?

Anyway, I have a Cumbrian accent, which is a quite generic North of England accent. Although I have had people ask me where I'm from before, because I think I naturally toned it down at university.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

• Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Teachers' Accents

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
    I was just wondering what all of the teacher's accents were? Have you ever encountered any problems as a result of your accent, or know any teacher that has? And how do you change the way you speak in front of students (if you do of course)? Are there any accents that schools tend to avoid when hiring, or is it just a case of how strong your accent is?

Anyway, I have a Cumbrian accent, which is a quite generic North of England accent. Although I have had people ask me where I'm from before, because I think I naturally toned it down at university.
    HII, CAN I SPEAKING TO YOU?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teachers' Accents

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post

I'm Australian and sometimes I find myself changing my accent slightly to sound more 'English'. Usually if I just speak slower and more clearly my students have no problems understanding me.