Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: winning team

  1. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,815
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    winning team

    dear friends...

    There are four underlined sections in the text below. Select the one which is wrong.

    'Everybody holds hands. This is the energy that will get you through the evening. We're going to be a winning team. Let's make it the best shift we've ever had. Go for it, guys!"

    a) hold hands
    b) get you
    c) Let's
    d) for it

    suggestions?

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: winning team

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    dear friends...

    There are four underlined sections in the text below. Select the one which is wrong.

    'Everybody holds hands. This is the energy that will get you through the evening. We're going to be a winning team. Let's make it the best shift we've ever had. Go for it, guys!"

    a) hold hands
    b) get you
    c) Let's
    d) for it

    suggestions?

    Thank you.
    the first one. It should be hold nor holds because everuone is plural not singular.

    Like this:
    Somebody came, didn't they?

  2. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,815
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: winning team

    Are you positive about it?

    People usually say:

    Everybody likes chocolate.
    Everybody does ...


    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: winning team

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Are you positive about it?

    People usually say:

    Everybody likes chocolate.
    Everybody does ...

    oh, sorrrrrrry
    somebody, someone, nobody

    not everybody or everyone

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: winning team

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Are you positive about it?

    People usually say:

    Everybody likes chocolate.
    Everybody does ...

    Yes, but this is an imperative, the same as the last two sentences. Everybody hold hands!
    If you are telling people they must like chocolate: Everybody, like chocolate! (Most people don't need to be told this).
    Everybody, do as I say!
    Go for it! (
    Not Goes for it!).

  4. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,815
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: winning team

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, but this is an imperative, the same as the last two sentences. Everybody hold hands!
    If you are telling people they must like chocolate: Everybody, like chocolate! (Most people don't need to be told this).
    Everybody, do as I say!
    Go for it! (
    Not Goes for it!).
    Yes, but as I have seen people write 'everybody does ...' I thought option a) was OK, then I went for b), I had to choose one, to my mind, somehow 'get you through' was wrong.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: winning team

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Yes, but as I have seen people write 'everybody does ...' I thought option a) was OK, then I went for b), I had to choose one, to my mind, somehow 'get you through' was wrong.
    "get you through" is normal.
    You do whatever gets you through the day.
    The song "Help me make it through the night" = "Help me get through the night".

    You haven't seen "Everybody does ..." as an imperative.

  6. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,815
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: winning team

    I got 6 entries for 'everybody holds' from COCA, one of them is 'everybody holds hands'.

    You know, this is not an encounter group. Laughter JOHN ROGERS, Admiralty Lawyer Liberals don't understand that war is not -- is not a retreat in a commune where everybody holds hands and goes ummmmm.' Laughter JOHN ROGERS, Admiralty Lawyer You know, war is not solved with doctors, nurses and clean water and -- and presidents who say, You know, if those people would just stop killing themselves over there, why things might turn out all right.'
    1994 (19940222) Ind_Limbaugh / 19940222

  7. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: winning team

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    I got 6 entries for 'everybody holds' from COCA, one of them is 'everybody holds hands'.


    1994 (19940222) Ind_Limbaugh / 19940222
    Do you understand the difference between the indicative and the imperative?
    You'll find plenty of examples of "everybody holds hands", but none will be a command, order, request, ie. none will be imperative.
    If I tell you to do something, that's an imperative:
    marciobarbalho, look at my examples again!
    If I describe you doing something, that is indicative:
    marciobarbalho looks at my examples again.

    The first sentence in your original post is imperative. The person is telling everyone to hold hands. He is not describing what is happening.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] team is vs team are
    By Sassieq in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-May-2009, 06:20
  2. Team - singular or plural?
    By Pauly_B in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2008, 00:52
  3. team mission
    By unpakwon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2008, 21:49
  4. Why don't you come camping with my soccer team?
    By Brightsun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-May-2007, 10:44
  5. What is correct?
    By ESL-lover in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2004, 14:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •