Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: just for kicks

1. LeaderOne

just for kicks

Hi:

I heard this expression often from a friend I had, usually when asked why he did something odd. What do that mean? doing something for kicks, or just for kicks?

thanks!

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: just for kicks

Quote Originally Posted by LeaderOne
    Hi:

I heard this expression often from a friend I had, usually when asked why he did something odd. What do that mean? doing something for kicks, or just for kicks?

thanks!
    It means just for fun, just for the hell of it.

3. LeaderOne

Thanks for your reply, Marylin. I understand the meaning of the expression, but I was wondering why use the term "kick" (out of context it sounds like you do something not exactly for fun, but to be looking for the receiving end of someone else's kicking).

Metaphorically speaking:

a) it means that one considers casually kicking around insignificant objects on his path as a fun activity (some kids in school find that amusing when bored, and when it specifically doesn't involve anger release)?

b) or instead, one's mischevious acts (the thing one does to some other "just for kicks") can be retaliated by the other (kicking one's arse back)?

The question I meant to ask then is in what sort of way "kick" means something different than just thrusting something with your foot. I heard before somebody saying "I get a kick out of that" meaning that he was amused.

Sorry for the digression... just want to use the idiom properly next time...

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply, Marylin. I understand the meaning of the expression, but I was wondering why use the term "kick" (out of context it sounds like you do something not exactly for fun, but to be looking for the receiving end of someone else's kicking).

Metaphorically speaking:

a) it means that one considers casually kicking around insignificant objects on his path as a fun activity (some kids in school find that amusing when bored, and when it specifically doesn't involve anger release)?

b) or instead, one's mischevious acts (the thing one does to some other "just for kicks") can be retaliated by the other (kicking one's arse back)?

The question I meant to ask then is in what sort of way "kick" means something different than just thrusting something with your foot. I heard before somebody saying "I get a kick out of that" meaning that he was amused.

Sorry for the digression... just want to use the idiom properly next time...
    I am at a loss as to what your real question is. You asked me about the phrase "just for kicks" and it means just for the hell of it, for fun, no special reason....you might be doing something out of boredom or for the sake of a quick, cheap thrill, just to amuse yourself or as a joke.

ex.
    Sam, will you stop pulling my cat's tail, please! Are you doing it just for kicks? She really doesn't like it.

AS to WHY you use the word kick, I think you have already answered the question yourself....I also assume it refers to casual kicking an object around - again just for the heck of it, no special reason, .

Now you are asking me about another phrase "I get a kick out something". This one is very much the same..you get excitement and thrill from doing something.

I took all my students to a drama performance in our local theater. They all got a kick out of it.

5. LeaderOne

Thank you Marylin, that's what I wanted to know; and not just for kicks !

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Marylin, that's what I wanted to know; and not just for kicks !
    Cool! You are welcome!

• Post Thanks / Like

Marylin,
    I hope you had a kick out of it...

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clare
    Marylin,
    I hope you had a kick out of it...
    I did, thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

It was informative to see this topic get kicked around.

• Post Thanks / Like

I am getting kick out of seeing 1 year old post and 2 last posters join date Dec,2004 - Dec, 2005

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast