Learner19861986 Guest

Present Perfect or Past Simple

I've got a letter in which I have to put the Present Perfect or the Past Simple tense:

I'm writing to tell you all the lastest family news. Aunt Daisy (1) had a baby girl a week ago. Uncle Nick is very pleased. They (2) ........ (name) the baby Louise. Uncle Bruce ........... (buy) a new car and he (4) ............. (give) the old one to Aunt Celia. Do you remember my cousin Rupert? Well, he (5) moved to Germany last month. He (6) ........... (take) his wife and children with him. Grandpa (7) took Alex on a fishing trip last weekend. Unfortunately, they (8) didn't catch any fish!

Grandma (9) have recently redecorated the living room. She (10) ............ (paint) the walls pink and (11) ............. (buy) a new carpet to match. It looks lovely.

That's all for now. Take care and write soon with your news.

I have already filled the gaps I knew the answer to.

Please give your answer with the explanation why there must be the particular tense.

This is what I think:

1) "had" because it was "a week ago"

2) "named" because we still know that it was "a week ago"

3) "have bought" because we want to emphasize the event OR "bought" because it was in the past

4) "gave" because we are not interested in what happened to the old car

5) "moved" because it was "last month"

6) "took" because we know that it was "last month" OR "have taken" because they most probably are still there

7) "took" because it was "last weekend"

8) "didn't catch" because it is a finished event

9) "have recently redecorated" because it was "recently"

10) "have painted" > recently

11) "bought" because it is a continuation of the Present Perfect sentence OR "have bought"

Thanks

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Present Perfect or Past Simple

Quote Originally Posted by Learner19861986 View Post
    I've got a letter in which I have to put the Present Perfect or the Past Simple tense:

I'm writing to tell you all the lastest family news. Aunt Daisy (1) had a baby girl a week ago. Uncle Nick is very pleased. They (2) ........ (name) the baby Louise. Uncle Bruce ........... (buy) a new car and he (4) ............. (give) the old one to Aunt Celia. Do you remember my cousin Rupert? Well, he (5) moved to Germany last month. He (6) ........... (take) his wife and children with him. Grandpa (7) took Alex on a fishing trip last weekend. Unfortunately, they (8) didn't catch any fish!

Grandma (9) have recently redecorated the living room. She (10) ............ (paint) the walls pink and (11) ............. (buy) a new carpet to match. It looks lovely.

That's all for now. Take care and write soon with your news.

I have already filled the gaps I knew the answer to.

Please give your answer with the explanation why there must be the particular tense.

This is what I think:

1) "had" because it was "a week ago" OK, It expresses a completed action at a specified time in the past .

2) "named" because we still know that it was "a week ago" You can also use present perfect (have named)because it is used to talk about the present result of past actions or which has relevance to the present.

3) "have bought" because we want to emphasize the event OR "bought" because it was in the past OK . It states a past action which is very much relevant now

4) "gave" because we are not interested in what happened to the old car Ok

5) "moved" because it was "last month" OK

6) "took" because we know that it was "last month" OR "have taken" because they most probably are still there Ok If they are still there use present perfect

7) "took" because it was "last weekend" Ok completed action at a specific time in the past.

8) "didn't catch" because it is a finished event OK

9) "have recently redecorated" because it was "recently" Ok Unfinished time period.

10) "have painted" > recently OK

11) "bought" because it is a continuation of the Present Perfect sentence OR "have bought" It should be have bought. Because completed action with no definite past time expression.

Thanks
    SKP