What does 'there was no snap in his turtle' mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liyuefu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, The text I quoted is an excerpt of Friends, an American sitcom. What does 'there was no snap in his turtle' mean? Some Chinese say it means to have sex. I think so from the context. If it is true, why does it refer to sex? What are 'snap' and 'turtle'?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The snapping turtle bites quickly. The phrase means there was no action to match his words, or no strength to support his boasts.

BonaVista

Member Type
Other
Hi, The text I quoted is an excerpt of Friends, an American sitcom. What does 'there was no snap in his turtle' mean? Some Chinese say it means to have sex. I think so from the context. If it is true, why does it refer to sex? What are 'snap' and 'turtle'?

LOL.. That's so funny. In Chinese language the top part of penis (aka glans) is called 'a turtle's head'. I think that's why your friends thought this phrase had something to do with sex.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
I've never heard that expression. However, I know that snapping turtles do snap and are quite vicious. We had one in a pond and the turtle killed our ducks. The turtle's shell was approx. 35 cm in diameter. Well, it's not really round, so perhaps it was the length.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this particular case, you are correct in presuming it is a sexual reference. Monica states: "Before me, there was no snap in his turtle for two years." Meaning that he'd been impotent for two years.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In this particular case, you are correct in presuming it is a sexual reference. Monica states: "Before me, there was no snap in his turtle for two years." Meaning that he'd been impotent for two years.

The Br Eng idiom would be 'he'd been firing blanks for two years' - a reference to Blank (cartridge) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. :)-? not sure if this is British in origin - it's the sort of down-to-earth/concrete/technological language play that I'd think was typical of Am English - but it's what we'd say; that, or 'there's been no lead in his pencil for two years'). ;-)

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The Br Eng idiom would be 'he'd been firing blanks for two years' - a reference to Blank (cartridge) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. :)-? not sure if this is British in origin - it's the sort of down-to-earth/concrete/technological language play that I'd think was typical of Am English - but it's what we'd say; that, or 'there's been no lead in his pencil for two years'). ;-)

b

I would have thought infertility was different from impotence. No snap in his turtle sounds like the latter. Both can translate into a lack of conception.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, "firing blanks" would be similar to "he had no lead in his pencil", both meaning that he was infertile, not impotent. That is, he was able to have sex but not make babies. :oops:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In AmE, "firing blanks" would be similar to "he had no lead in his pencil", both meaning that he was infertile, not impotent. That is, he was able to have sex but not make babies. :oops:

:oops: :up: (Well explained. ;-))

b

Status
Not open for further replies.