Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Occitan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
my confusing sentences include the use of yet, which one can be more accurate, if we say "i have not yet finished" i have yet not finished" i have not finished yet" anyone helps me in my questions including my last queries would be strongly appreciated. Thanks.

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
my confusing sentences include the use of yet, which one can be more accurate, if we say "i have not yet finished" i have yet not finished" i have not finished yet" anyone helps me in my questions including my last queries would be strongly appreciated. Thanks.

Typically, "yet" goes at the end of a sentence or clause.

I have not finished yet.

It's possible to put it after the negative auxiliary, have not-has not, in order to add emphasis.

I have not yet finished.

It's also possible to use "yet" to mean "still" without using the present perfect.

I have yet to finish to finish the report. = I still haven't finished the report.

I had yet to finish the report. = I still had not finished the report.

It's also possible to use "yet" to show contrast in the same way we use "but". Using "yet" shows a stronger contrast. It provides emphasis to the contrast.

It's freezing cold out, yet you still go outside with that thin jacket. You're going to catch a cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.