Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Post Thanks / Like

Master's degree in linguistics

Hello,

I am a native speaker of American English who is very happy to have found this forum.

As I plan on starting a online TEFL course in a few weeks (either LinguaEdge or Ontesol), I would like to know if having a Master's degree in linguistics in combination with a TEFL certificate will in general increase my chances of finding work as a TEFL teacher abroad (mainly Japan, Germany and Eastern Europe).

Also, does knowing the language of the country you're interested in going has any influence on hiring decisions. I am curious about this because I speak French fluently and my German is at an intermediate level.

I get so much mixed information online about the TEFL industry that I really don't know what to believe.

Thanks for any feedback you may be able to give me.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Master's degree in linguistics

Quote Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
    Hello,

I am a native speaker of American English who is very happy to have found this forum.

As I plan on starting a online TEFL course in a few weeks (either LinguaEdge or Ontesol), I would like to know if having a Master's degree in linguistics in combination with a TEFL certificate will in general increase my chances of finding work as a TEFL teacher abroad (mainly Japan, Germany and Eastern Europe).

Also, does knowing the language of the country you're interested in going has any influence on hiring decisions. I am curious about this because I speak French fluently and my German is at an intermediate level.

I get so much mixed information online about the TEFL industry that I really don't know what to believe.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you're white and have a university degree at all, you'll be hired really easily in East Asia. Schools in the region focus a good deal more than we would on surface appearances, in my experience. PS It's "an online course."

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Sorry to be blunt, but if you're white and have a university degree at all, you'll be hired really easily in East Asia. Schools in the region focus a good deal more than we would on surface appearances, in my experience.

(PS: It's "an online course").
    I think I know it's "an online course."

Great way to start on this forum...

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

I think I know it's "an online course."

Great way to start on this forum...
    Didn't see you were new, sorry for that.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Having a pulse and a tie are said to be the requirements for many of the eikaiwa Japan, but the MA could get you through the door of some better-paid jobs in universities, though there is some pressure on those jobs at the moment because there are some corporations muscling in, offering to handle the whole teaching operation teaching cheaply, thus turning language centres into bog standard eikaiwa.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Didn't see you were new, sorry for that.
    No problems. I guess it's best you do correct any mistakes you see as it may help any ESL learner on here. And if you see more, just let me know as I'm humble. I just wasn't expecting such brutality on my first post.

Thanks for the information you gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Having a pulse and a tie are said to be the requirements for many of the eikaiwa Japan, but the MA could get you through the door of some better-paid jobs in universities, though there is some pressure on those jobs at the moment because there are some corporations muscling in, offering to handle the whole teaching operation teaching cheaply, thus turning language centres into bog standard eikaiwa.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

• Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much understand the situation in the Far East, but what are things like in Germany, France and Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland, Hungary)?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

You're an intelligent, educated person. They will want to give you a job teaching English whether or not you have the TESOL or other such things. The question is, do you have an EU passport? I do now, but before I fought the UK government to give me one, I went to teach in France and wasn't paid for the first 7 months, until I got rich all at once. It's the paperwork.
    Last edited by konungursvia; 21-Sep-2009 at 19:24. Reason: sp

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

• Post Thanks / Like

The type of jobs where a masters degree would be an advantage would also expect a few years experience. In fact, a lot of masters degree in this subject ask for at least 2 or 3 years teaching experience to get on the course in the first place. At this stage of your career, the thing that would count in your favour would be a CELTA or Trinity Certificate.

I'm not sure about other languages. I've heard mixed reports, particularly with the sorts of conversation classes that new teachers often end up in.

• Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

In Eastern Europe, English teachers in primary, secondary, and tertiary schools registered with the state authorities (both public and private schools), have to have master's degree in teaching English, which actually consists of two subfields: Teacher Training + English Language and Literature.

However, if you are a native speaker of English, the director may substantiate an exception for you, when confronted with the school inspection authorities (and/or the parents).
    Last edited by echelon; 27-Sep-2009 at 10:22.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast